Monday, January 28, 2008

He was a very special man!


Last night, as I was watching TV, they broke in with the news that Gordon B Hinckley had just died a short time before. I called out to Daniel in another room that President Hinckley died, and Isaac jumped out of bed to come watch with us. I was crying and Daniel was asking me questions and we were going back and forth about how sad to lose him and how absolutely wonderful he is with his wife again, and Isaac was a little confused. We explained that this is a very sad time because we will miss him so much. It is a happy thing, though, because he is done here and is with Sister Hinckley and Heavenly Father again. After talking about it some more, Isaac went back to bed and Daniel and I stayed up to watch all the news about his life. This morning I told Ruthie and Sam that President Hinckley died last night. They both looked concerned, but then Isaac jumped in with all the things we said to him last night (I love it when they listen AND remember). He finished by saying, "He was a very special man!" Yes, he was. We will miss President Hinckley and wish his family the best. We will be talking a lot this week in our family about prophets and how they are called and why and how we sustain them. I am grateful for everything that President Hinckley did for the church and for us while he served. I also look forward to a new Prophet, Seer and Revelator who will counsel us and lead us through the next years of our lives here on earth. Death is not the end, it is the necessary next step in our salvation.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Isn't it great to see how children react and the love and understanding that they show. President Hinckley will be missed, but I can't help being happy for him that he gets to be with his sweetheart again.

Crissy said...

I am glad you posted this Jennie. One of of my friends sent me a text message to my phone, it was a shock. Being teary eyed all night and this morning, your post got me going again. It's ok, I am sad, But I am glad that he with his wife again. I am sure he happy beyond measure where he is. And yes, He will be greatly missed. He was a wonderful man.

Laurie said...

He was a very special man! Well said Isaac! I am going to miss him.