Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mid-week experiment

So I was thinking this morning that Wednesday is one of the hardest days of the week. It's short day at school, so I have to get Sam (K) there earlier than the rest of the week. Then they get out at 1:15 and there isn't a whole lot of time to get a lot done while they are at school. Then, of course, there's the trouble of filling the time once homework is done, laundry is folded and rooms are clean (don't get me wrong, sometimes, there isn't enough time in the day to get it all done!!) It's also the middle of the week, 2 more days to go till the weekend.

Blah, blah, blah. So I thought today that we would start a mid-week experiment. You know, find a science-y thing to try and experiment with. So I found a great website and chose one for today. But then, as the boys got in the car after school, they both about had a heart attack because I wasn't willing to go right back in with them to the Book Fair (don't get me wrong, I'm all about the Book Fair, just not today). So I made a deal regarding homework, etc, and took them to the Book Fair. They were doing a "buy 1 get 1 free" deal so I let them each choose 2 things. The boys each chose a Science Experiment Kit (did they read my mind?) and Ruthie got her own kit with nail polish and a nail polish book. (They did each get a book to read, as well.)

Today's experiments:
Ruthie got her toes painted and then was found under the table painting her fingers....not something I allow, but she did a great job and nothing got on the floor. Experiment complete and successful!

Sam chose to do Experiment #1 in his kit...finding True North with a magnet. It swung right to north. Experiment complete and successful! (Honestly, this is the best face he did!)
Isaac did Experiment #1, 2, 3 and then just skipped around to others he liked. His kit is for electricity. He had fun making the bulbs actually light up! Experiments complete and successful!
Needless to say, my experiment idea never happened. It was a fun afternoon, though. And hey, the best books I have found recently are the Skippy jon Jones books by Judy Schachner. So funny and you will talk with an accent in no time!

4 comments:

Kim said...

How FUN! What a great idea! I always loved doing science experiments at home when I was younger. I think it's great to have those kinds of books around just to fill in with some constructive play time. Congrats on the successful experiment of your own!

Laurie said...

Fun! Our book fair never has cool stuff like that. I love the idea of a science project to help with the mid-week blahs.

Hollyween said...

So so cute, Jennie. I love how Ruthie didn't get fingernail polish anywhere else! Miracle!!!!

Oh and I totally bagged the book fair because I spent too much money at the book fair in November. Plus, I think their books are so expensive (but the buy one get one would have been a good price).

Momma Ballou said...

You are sooo fun. I think I used to be fun too- I can't remember....