Sunday, February 3, 2008

Weather in China

I am sure you have all seen reports of the winter weather that has been hitting China recently. This is particularly upsetting because so many children have been affected who live in the orphanages and in foster care homes. Even though those who care for them are doing their best, there is so much that is needed to help these children. They are cold, hungry and many don't have running water or heat.

Daniel and I were in China 3 years ago this month to adopt Ruthann. While we were there, it was cold (obviously) because it was February. When we visited the orphanage that Ruthie's foster mom was connected to, we were shocked at the "normal" temperature of freezing in the infant room. Now that the power has been affected, as well as water, these babies and children are in dire need. The weather doesn't seem to be slowing down, either.

I guess what I am after here is for help! There are 2 very respected organizations that we know of who's purpose is to provide for the children who don't have a home or family. They also provide medical treatment for the Special Needs children. Donations are accepted to help these kiddos and their caregivers at this time of crisis as well as when the weather is good. I would love to have anyone who knows us, Ruthann or anyone else who is connected to China to donate just a little bit to help these children. One organization is Love Without Boundaries and the other is Half The Sky. You can also read a bit about how the weather is affecting China in general and the children specifically on these sights. I know that we who have families and homes and food and warmth this winter can give these orphaned children just a small part of the food and warmth we enjoy with a small donation.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh Jennie! How heartbreaking! Thank you for telling us what's happening over there. I know I get so caught up in my little world that I forget to see how things are going in other parts of this world. We would love to help, I'll check out the websites.

Laurie said...

That makes me ache! Especially knowing that so many good families are waiting to take these orphans home! I was not even aware of the effect the weather had on these kids. I'll take a look at these websites.

Hollyween said...

That is so sad!!! I would have even thought about the HEATING!