Monday, July 18, 2011

Oh Yeah. This Blog.

I have neglected this poor blog. I'm not sorry, though. We've been having fun. Lots of it, too. So I figure the best way to catch this darn thing up is to start where my pictures start. And just go from there. But no guarantee on the timeliness. We still have lots of fun to take on.


Here is our garden. The backyard veggie kind. We have potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, corn, zucchini, pumpkins, watermelon, cucumbers, radishes, peppers and I don't know what else. All our fruit trees are gone. Sad. But the garden is growing now that the rain has stopped and the sun has been shining and hot. We are happy about that. I want to add that I have absolutely nothing to do with this garden. Until we get to eat it. Daniel is the gardener here.
Some months ago I said my goal was to beautify the front porch area. Whoo hoo. I think I've succeeded. The day lilies were each split up and replanted to spread the beauty. Look at 'em! They lived and grew. I love my day lilies. They are the longest grown flower at our house.

For mother's day Daniel got me a climbing rose. I inherited the obelisk from my mom this Spring. (The rose is in the obelisk) My brother Aaron built it. He also built the bench and bird houses you see in these pictures. I think those were built out of old fence planks from my parent's house. I'm so glad I have these fun things Aaron built before he died 9 years ago.

Now, I'm a firm believer that a spot of such immense beauty must have a dose of reality. My dose of reality came years ago when my kiddos were very young. I sent them out to the front porch with paint and brushes and pumpkins. I told them to paint the pumpkins (because carving was waaaay too messy for my liking at the time) and then I walked away. Like into the house and closed the door. And this is what I walked back out to. See the lovely paint? Some guy who was delivering something at my door some time later made a comment about how unseemly it is to have paint on the brick and gave some suggestions to get it the heck off. Or even rebrick. Well. It's still the heck on and I love it. It reminds me of a super fun afternoon my kiddos had out on the front porch painting pumpkins for Halloween. So there!

Okay. Back to the beauty. There are wild flowers growing in the front area here. I added some flower pots I kifed from the neighbors across the street who said I could take whatever I wanted as they were vacating the premises for time and all eternity. The pots spoke to me...

I planted some pretties in the 4 pots and now they are a beautiful addition. Ruthie helped pick out all the flowers we put in. Believe it or not, this was my first attempt at potted flowers. And I think I'm hooked. Especially since I have really nice pots!

This year Daniel added several lilies to the flower patch. These are the yellow. There were also pink and white lilies. I LOVE them. There are also some calla lilies (my all time faves!) but they aren't fully bloomed.

I think it's safe to say I have successfully beautified my front porch area. It's flowery and pretty. I like it. If you happen to notice all the weeds, you are more than welcome to come pull them out. I put those down as another dose of reality in my spot of beauty!

1 comment:

Kates said...

I love it! Can't wait to see it in person. And when was mom giving away Aaron's obelisks? I want one too!