Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bread, anniversaries, bread and insanity...

This isn't the post I was going to do today. But you don't know that because you don't know what I was going to post about! I'll let you in on that later. So I bake bread. Not astounding, I know. But I have always used the same recipe, Aunt Peggy's wheat bread. It has stood up to the test of time. Although, I always put the second of 2 loaves in the freezer so it doesn't go wierd while we eat the first loaf. Here's the problem...That second loaf always separates from the top when I cut it! (after being thawed) So I tried a new Whole Wheat Bread recipe today. Always good to try new things, right?! I fear change! I thought I was losing my mind because I thought the oven kept turning itself off! Now I am the first to admit that I am a bit insane! Insanity is just part of the fun at our house. But I really thought I was going batty! Here is the lovely bread I baked today.

The Butter and Honey are an intregal part of the whole homemade bread eating experience.
Mmmmm...melting butter on hot bread!
Oops, couldn't help myself. And, a girl has to wash down the big bite of whole wheat bread with butter and honey with something!
The next generation learns to butter and honey her own slice of heaven...
I've eaten a couple of big hearty slices of bread by now.
I feel good.
By the way, the other topic for today was a couple of anniversaries.
Monday was the sixth anniversary of my brother Aaron's death. I miss him! I cried a little. I will now eat a big slice of bread with butter and honey for him!! Aaron, we love you! We miss you! Come back soon!
Today is my wedding anniversary. I guess I should say OUR wedding anniversary. 9 years of wedded bliss and all the other stuff that comes with the bliss. I love my honey more than the honey and butter and bread! I have a big bouquet of roses sitting on my counter making me feel really good. I also have 3 great kids who have made our union even more fun! I had hoped to post pics of the day in question. But, alas, I forgot to have Daniel find them and put them on my computer! Think of me and him together and thinner, more hair on him and the bountiful temple behind us... (memories...)
Does anyone have any bread freezing words of wisdom? I suppose I will freeze this bread and see what happens.
And about the insanity with the oven thing....I had Ruthie watch me while I stood in the kitchen to make sure I didn't hit the off button on said oven. It didn't turn intself off...I must need a nap or something.
Wait! No! I need another slice of bread!

9 comments:

Laurie said...

Happy Anniversary!! That bread looks delicious! I didn't even know you made your own bread. Do you make all your bread needs yourself or do you ever skimp and do store-bought? I am craving homemade bread now!

PS- where did you get Peggy's recipe? Send it my way, I need a good wheat bread recipe.

Jennie said...

The recipe should be in your Recipes & Reminisces book from mom. Or maybe not. Here it is...
Aunt Peggy's Wheat Bread
1 pkg yeast-dissolve in 1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar or honey
1/4 cup shortening
3 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups HOT water
mix 2 cups white flour into liquids. add 2 c wheat flour. add yeast. gradually add appx 4 c wheat flour. knead til smooth. place in greased bowl, turning once. cover bowl with plastic wrap. place in warm spot to rise 2 hours. punch down and form 2 loaves. place into greased loaf pans. let rise 1 1/2 hours. bake 375 for 45 min. butter tops and turn out to cool.

I haven't made it in forever, just started again last month. My kiddos don't eat sandwiches of homemade bread. Too thick. Daniel and I love it, though. Happy baking!

Jen said...

Happy anniversary! You guys are still newly weds!

What more can a gal need other than an happy anniversary and warm hot bread with butter and honey?

As for tips on freezing bread... I couldn't help you with that one. So sorry.

Crissy said...

Happy Belated Anniversary, Girl!! That Bread looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe too :)
I don't bake enough bread for any freezing advice.

Kim said...

That bread looks soo yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe! I make bread too,I can't stand store bread - yuck. But Shane would rather have store bread for sandwiches.

I'm sorry that you miss your brother, that has to be so hard. Happy Anniversary!

Kim said...

P.S. I don't have any ideas on freezing bread either. We keep a couple of loaves and then give one away so usually it doesn't get a chance to get weird.

Momma Ballou said...

I'm going to have to make that today! I wish I had some right now mmmmmmm. Happy anniversary.

Sarah said...

I'm glad you've been lurking on my blog. The more the merrier! I've checked your blog out a few times. Its fun. All your adventures with your kids. And I'm glad I'm not the only one to drink diet soda. Thanks for making me feel better!

Hollyween said...

I got no advice on the freezing thing.
But the bread looks delish! I want a piece. Like... now. It's Saturday afterall. And you KNOW what happens to me on Saturdays!!!