Monday, April 5, 2010

A Day In The Life.

I really thought I did a marvelous job with pictures this week. Buuuut....Umm. I'm not sure what happened. Oh well.

Monday...For FHE we started the Easter All Week theme at our house. Sunday is Palm Sunday, so we talked about the triumphal entry and got palm leaves to add to our experience. Monday was when Jesus cleansed the temple. I have coins that my parents brought back from Jerusalem. We used those as our visual. Oooh.
Isaac was up all night coughing so he stayed home and slept. Yes. He actually slept. And it wasn't even dark outside. My kids just don't do that.
Tuesday...I decided that our mantel would be our visual for our week's learning. Don't the palms look fanastic in the vase thingy? We also added pictures. Tuesday Isaac went back to school. Gladly even. And our lesson was about the first and great commandment. And I just realized I do have a picture but didn't put it on here. We talked about loving God first and then loving others. We painted little hearts, put our names on them and then stuck them on a big heart that says Love One Another. We then put that on the mantel.
Wednesday...Piano and Webelos. Isaac is working on his Readyman badge this month. This is a heart shaped chicken nugget Isaac found. I don't know how he got to Wendy's to get lunch. But he did! We learned about the parable of the 10 Virgins and lit our oil lamp.
Thursday...The oil lamp again. We talked about the Last Supper and the Garden of Gethsemane. We had unleavened bread. No one cared for it. But my kids know quite a bit about all this stuff. Apparently they DO listen! Thursday was also the first day of Easter break. We had a boring day. Friday would be much better.
Friday...As an Easter break fun thing, we took the kiddos to the 3D How To Train Your Dragon. We loved it! It was snowing when we came out and when we got home it hailed a bit. Those are the armadillos in the hail. We learned about Jesus' trial, crucifixion and burial.
Saturday...Daniel took Sam and Ruthie to the city Easter egg hunt. I didn't buy a single piece of Easter candy this year. Not even baskets. The kids each got to choose a chocolate bunny and one other thing. That was it for goodies. The rest was the Spiritual aspect. Today we watched conference and learned about Missionary work in the Spirit World. We are lucky to have Uncle Aaron and Cousin Rebecca there working hard while we work here.
Sunday...More conference. The theme I got from all sessions this time was family. The role of mothers and fathers. I loved every minute of it!! We watched To This End Was I Born. We talked about the Resurrection and had a Resurrection breakfast. The best part was when the kids asked if we could do this every year. You mean you don't want to color eggs and get baskets of candy and wait for the Easter bunny? You would rather learn about the Savior and celebrate with a breakfast and talking about Him? I can handle that.
We went to Abbie and Poppy's house for birthdays and Easter. I can't say we didn't have ANY commercialization. But it was nice to not have it at home.
I wonder if I could get away with no presents for Christmas?
Have a terrific week!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I love your week-long Easter lesson theme. What a great way to focus on the Savior! I am going to use your idea next year!

Crissy said...

Great pictures, Jennie! I love that you kept the focus on the Savior all week. I am sure that your kids will always remember that more than an Easter candy they ever got ;)
We didn't do much focus on the commercialization either. We did talk alot about the Savior and why have Easter though. Our kids got drilled and pop quizzed all week long, LOL!!

Kim said...

Sounds like a wonderful week of meaningful lessons. It is so great when you find out the kids are listening, huh!?! That is AWESOME that they want to do it again next year!