Thursday, June 13, 2013

Make A Meal.

I have been reading a book about a young brother and sister who lived in Cuba as Castro takes control.  They are sent to the United States to escape.  I loved the book.  I loved the food.  I didn't eat much Cuban food on my mission.  There was one Cuban family in one of my areas who had us over a couple of times to eat.  But thinking about food I made a decision to feed the memories.
So I got some pinto beans and made some homemade refried beans.  Even though they were never "fried".  I'd like to think this is the low fat recipe. 
 
Mushed Pinto Beans
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced chilies
1/4 cup water
spices-Cumin, Garlic powder, Salt, Onion powder, Chili powder
You can add whatever else you want to spice it up
Cook everything together then mush the beans a bit.  Add more water if it's too dry.
P1060076
Notice there is no lard or added fat of any kind. 
The water will loosen it up.  Or you can add some chicken or beef broth.
Here's how we ate it...
Tortillas
Mushed Beans
Chicken
Black Rice
Cheese
You can also add salsa, diced onions, cilantro, sour cream or whatever floats your yacht.
P1060078
Yep, I said yacht.  Because sometimes a boat won't cut it.  A yacht is bigger and better and will afford you a chef.  Maybe.  Think yacht and you'll have a much better day! Promise.
Enjoy!

No comments: