Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sarajune Chronicles

Today marks 18 months into our wait for Sarajune. As I was thinking about this last night, I was thinking of the comments I have had from people who think we are entitled to get a child from any specific place among other things. This bothers me, yet when it's said, I can't think fast enough to react appropriately. So here are my responses....

When people say, "She is so lucky"

My response, "What do you mean?? We are the lucky ones. Not just to have her, but to have 3 healthy wonderful children!"


When they say, "You saved her!"

My response, "We are building our family. We happen to be nice people who love our children."


When they say, "Why don't you adopt from the US?? There are so many children here who need families."

My response, "Why don't you adopt them?" (OK, OK) "We prayed, fasted, went to the temple, researched and prayed some more. China is where she was. If she had been born here, we would have adopted her from the US."


When they say, "There are so many babies over there. Why don't they just let you go get one?"

My response, "First of all, China is trying to take care of her own. We are not going shopping for a child. We wait, like everyone else for our baby."


When they say, "Can you imagine her life if you hadn't adopted her?"

My response, "Um, no." (alright) "Yes, of course I can. But really, I can't." "Can I imagine MY life if I hadn't adopted her??"


When they say, "You picked the easy way to have kids."

My response, "You have no idea the reality of adoption, do you? There is no easy way to build a family!"


When they say, "Wow, don't you wish they would keep having babies and abandoning them so you can adopt faster?"

My response, "HELL NO!!" (ummmm) "Actually, no. That would go completely against my code as a moral and decent person. I would rather just see those babies being born into loving arms that will care for them, allow them to stay in their birth culture and I would for go any further adoptions, including the one we are waiting on, to see China completely taking care of all her citizens."


When they say, "Does she know she's adopted?"

My response, "Umm, yes!"

When they say, "She's beautiful. Where is she from?"

My response, "Ogden area, Utah."

When they say, "How can you love someone who doesn't even look like you?"

My response, "How can you love your spouse, who doesn't even look like you??"

When they say, "Your own children" (referring to my boys)

My response, "They are ALL my own children."

I guess there have to be the few really dense people and those who are just regular people who don't quite get it out there to mix it up a little. Life is good. We are all happy, healthy and loving each other. Can't ask for more, I suppose!

7 comments:

Hollyween said...

I can totally relate to annoying comments, as you know. I had many said to me with our infertility trial and John's cancer one too. Like, "Aren't you glad you don't have a ton of kids to take care of during John's sickness?" Ummmm.... no. I'm not glad. I hated annoying comments so hopefully I'm not one of those people who ever gave you one.

Ruthie is TOTALLY a part of your family. She fits in perfectly and I can't imagine her not there.

Laurie said...

Wow, I am totally blown away by what people say to your face! I love your response to "why don't you adopt in the U.S.?" Too funny! And the EASY way to have kids?! Adoption is anything but easy! And Ruthie IS one of your kids! Crazy! At least she'll be bilingual. HAHAHAHAHA!

Crissy said...

GOOD FOR YOU, JEN!! Love all your answers!! I just hope I wasn't any of those asking the stupid questions, Ha Ha ha!! At least I hope I wasn't anyway, I think you and Daniel are such loving people! And I really admire all that you are doing. Ruthie is such doll and I can't wait to meet Sarajune soon :)

Andrea said...

Maya isn't even here and we are already getting the rude comments. You deal with them nicely! Dev and I tend to be not so nice at times. The next person who tells me adoption is easier should be shot!!

Lisa and Tate said...

Great answers!!!! I must remember these when I need them.

Lisa

Kim said...

Well said!!! I can't tell you the number of times that people have said senseless things about us and to us. The one I LOATHED was "that was so smart of you to wait to have kids so you could have a nice house and cars and a boat". ARGH! I told that person "I can't have kids" and then they felt really bad. HA-HA! I felt better. Don't you wish you could print it all on a t-shirt and hope they all get it!?

Jennie said...

Wow, Kim, that is totally obnoxious!!! I have been thinking of even more dumb things people say, but will keep them to myself for now. I don't even think people realize they are saying something rude! (at least until you say something back that knocks them off their feet!.