Thursday, May 22, 2008

A good laugh.

So every once in a while, Sam will wake up in the night when his quilt has come off and yell something like, (now think 2:30 A!M! and a loud yell from the room across the hall...) "WILL SOMEONE PLEASE COVER ME?!?!?! And if we aren't quick enough, he will yell again. And again. And again. Until someone does indeed come and cover him.
Now, before you say, "Why the heck don't you teach him to cover himself so you can sleep peacefully through the night, because I know you need your sleep, because look at how tired and even exhausted you are" please know that we have many times. And then again. And again and even to the point of having a Family Home Evening lesson about covering yourself up if you wake up and find that you are uncovered and it's bothering you to the point that you feel you have to yell in the middle of the night!! Please!
All that aside, it still happens. But 2 nights ago it was a great yell! I had woken up at 5:30 (did you see the dark circles!?) and was just in time for this yell... are you ready?
"WILL SOMEONE PLEASE MARRY ME!!"
I think I yelled that out in my sleep when I was 27 and single. But we'll talk about that another time. I started laughing! Then came the usual yell, "Will someone please cover me!" So I happily, and laughingly, went in and covered him. And then tucked the sides of the quilt down into the sides of his bed so he wouldn't yell again.
I couldn't get back to sleep. Maybe it was the rain. Maybe it was the humor. Maybe it was just the way I am. I asked him yesterday why he yelled that. He said his teeth wouldn't work to say the right words. Now I realize that it runs in the family!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Why do it yourself if someone will do it for you, right? Kids are nuts. The marry me thing is pretty funny!

Hollyween said...

That crazy kid, waking you up in the middle of the night?! I thought it was just LEVI who always needed someone to 'marry him'. He got all excited watching Carrie Underwood on Idol last night.

But back to Sam, maybe right before you put him to bed if you said, "If you wake up and need someone to cover you, Mommy's not going to come in. You'll just have to do it yourself. Okay?" Levi used to do stuff in the middle of the night like needing me to get up WITH him when he needed to go to the bathroom, etc. and I finally started just telling him right before I put him down that I wasn't going to do it anymore. After a couple days, he got the hang of it.

Or... you could keep doing what you're doing if you actually LIKE getting up in the middle of the night. He he

Jennie said...

Holly..My kids KNOW I don't get up for them in the night. They can't get in bed with me either. Daniel is the problem. He always just gets up. I wake up because Sam's noisy. So I only got up that night because I was already laughing about the marry me part!

Jen said...

Daniel is a softy. My trick is to pretend that I'm sleeping through the noise. Works sometimes.

The marry me thing is funny!

Anonymous said...

Funny story! Wow- that must be scary and tiring to wake up for covering.....all a part of parenting.

Loved the pictures of you and the Sam & Ruthie I took- what a cute family. I wish Isaac were there (and Daniel for that matter) to get the full family shots!

Leanne

Crissy said...

That is Hilarious!! One night Brandon woke up screaming and crying, we rush in there and he says, "Mom ate my dinner!!"
Shame on me, I guess! LOL!!

Laurie said...

Haha! Sam is so funny! Love that "marry" came out instead of "cover".

Kristi said...

Hummmm . . .I'm a bit behind on - well everything - but I wanted to comment on several of your posts. First I love my flower pins too, although one looks very much like a fried egg, second, I think Ruthie's no bang look is cute very stylish and finally - I oh so sympathize with the middle of the night yells at our house it is always "my leg hurts" - I really think it's because there's no medicine involved and you might get a nice foot / leg rug out of it.

Kim said...

That is too funny! I wonder what made his mouth say "Marry Me!" Kids are hilarious.

Momma Ballou said...

That is too funny. There is a little girl that lives behind us who Porter just adores and she knows it. To get her way she tells him she won't marry him. He cries and cries. I try to tell him she's not worth it but they never listen.

Anonymous said...

Your "tagged" post brought tears to my eyes- you're such a good mom and i love watching your family grow. Good advice for new moms!

I get in touch after Norway, Nebraska & my niece's graduation in CA.

Leanne