Monday, May 12, 2008

Moms, Flower Pins, Jewels...

Hmmm. Mother's Day. I'm not complaining, but it's a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it? I mean, c'mon, even if you get breakfast in bed and a nice gift, who's gonna clean it all up? If he could clean it up, he would have been doing it a lot more often over the course of our relationship!
I'm not complaining. Really. I did get breakfast in bed. Well, I was drying my hair and Daniel came in with a plate of yumminess and set it on my night table. Everyone else was at the kitchen table enjoying said yumminess with, apparently, a lot more fun than I was having by myself in the bedroom. So I joined them.
Then came the gift(s). my kids got all excited on Saturday when I told them that for Mom's day I just wanted them to give me a break....you know, listen, obey, go and do, etc, etc. So they hightailed it off to get my gifts they made me at school. Here's where it gets good....Isaac gave me a calender dated May 2008-May 2009. Each month had a wonderful picture, description of me or other art project. I loved the part where he wrote "My mom is as pretty as a princess!'. I was going for Queen, but I'll take what I can get.
Sam had a hard time giving up his gift to me which he had already claimed for himself...a pretty flower pin that he made. Now there's a story here that will take some time to tell, so sit back with something cold to drink.
It was 2 years ago. My baby was in kindergarten. On Mother's Day some of the moms at church were wearing these oh so cute flower pins that their kids had made. I realize that they are all kindergartners' moms. So something snaps in my head. Why didn't I get one?? Why didn't Isaac's teacher have those cute little people make those same flower pins so I could be just like the other k-moms?! I realize in the same thought that Isaac isn't in their class. He's in alternative kindergarten. So I guess they didn't plan that with ALL the k-classes! Bummer.
So this year, I was ready. I was going to have me one of those cute flower pins! I would wear it all day long! I would be one of the k-moms at church! Everyone would know I have a cute kindergartner! But Sam didn't want to give it up. I was a bit upset! I took it from him and said "It's mine! I am going to wear it! Don't take it again!" I wore it. I only saw one other mom wear hers. (she is one of the moms from 2 years ago...she still wears her k-mom pin proudly even though she's done it quite a bit!) I was a proud k-mom. I hope someone else thought "Oh I can't wait till my kid is in kindergarten so I can wear one of those cute flower pins to church!" I hope I represented k-moms everywhere with pride and beauty and sveltness!
Ruthie made me quite a few cards. Cute cards. Cards I will always treasure.
Daniel gave me a camera. Yay! I am so excited. Didn't I just mention in another post that my camera was old?! What a guy. He also got me Burrito Grande drive thru Saturday night. I love that place. The food was off just enough to know it came in styrofoam. But, like I said, I'm not complaining.
Oh, isn't he cute?! I just love him. And he's so good looking, too. because of him, I have....
This...Cute little people in my life. (Notice the flower pin!!)
It wouldn't be mother's day without them.
I've heard it said that children are the jewels in their mother's crown. The queendom I am trying to establish doesn't have a crown yet. I will be going for rubies and emeralds, though. My kids are cute. Real cute. I love them dearly. I want real gems!
I don't do the oopy goopy mommy stuff. I am considering lobbying for Mom's day to be a week long thing. No dishes, No laundry, No toilet scrubbing, No cooking, No general cleaning, No kid homework, No taxi service, etc. I vote that all moms get one week off in the Carribean. No one is allowed on the trip but moms. No little people, no hubbys and you don't even have to hang with your mother in law. Unless you really want to. Mine is nice! I would hang with her.
I hope all you moms and moms to be had a great day/weekend/week. I'll let you know what my lobbying gets us! Probably not much. Think of all the starving, dirty children and the messy, unkempt, disgusting houses we would all come home to. Oh well, it was just an idea.
I do love and appreciate my mom. I wouldn't be here to enjoy the 'hood without her. Thanks, mom! And of course, Daniel wouldn't have been able to help me create my 'hood if it weren't for his mom. I love his mom, too!

12 comments:

Jen said...

Way to fight with your k-kid for the popular pin. I've never received a flower pin. Cody gave me a rock for M Day when he was in kindergarten. Yes....a rock. With a little saying. Rock is ugly, saying is cute. The rock sits in my top drawer to this day!

Just a little note: once your children are in 4th grade apparently, their teachers do not believe in making M Day gifts for us beloved mothers. (I got notta)

Jennie said...

Oh, That's a rip off. Think of all you have to do to get your kid to 4th grade!!! You deserve chocolates and gemstones!

Sarah said...

The pin is cute. As well are the kids. I'm glad you had a fabulous day. I'll lobby with you to get to go to the carribean!

Kim said...

I love the flower-pin story. Now I want one too! Those teachers had BETTER still be doing that by the time Jacob gets into Kindergarten. I'm sure you inspired hope for one in the heart of many-a-mom yesterday.

I totally would like a week off in the Caribbean...you'll have to keep us posted on how that lobbying goes.

That's AWESOME that you got a new camera!! YEAH Daniel - way to go! And the food was a nice touch too!

Lisa and Tate said...

I would totally support the week long mothers day...

Mom's day this year was a group get together with my bro grilling and the rest of the work prep, serve and clean-up done by the women.... go figure!

Crissy said...

Hey, My wonderul sweet friend, Who looks SOOOO fabulous with that flower pin,(which I hope to get one day with one last chance!!), Glad you had a wonderful mothers day!! Your kids are so Cute! And that was so sweet of your hubby to get you a new camera!!
I am up for a cruise any day!! And a week with no housework is fine with me!

Mama Bear said...

Ahh, the Caribbean...that blessed place I sacrificed for the life I have now. Looking back maybe the job offer there wouldn't have been so bad, anyway I'm glad you had a wonderful day and LUCKY YOU that enjoys your MIL! ((jumping onboard the cruise-lobbying boat))

Laurie said...

I am all for a mom's week vacation! Way cool mom's day for you! Love the pictures!

Hollyween said...

I can't believe you didn't notice that I was wearing my flower pin with PRIDE!!! I saw you wearing yours and I also saw Valyn wearing hers. I was seriously THRILLED to get it and I vow to wear it every year. I love it.

Congrats on the camera!!!

Jennie said...

I didn't see yours...by then I was in Primary mode. I did see Valyn's..that was the one I referred to. I did see some pride, beauty and sveltness there, now that I think about it!! Thanks, Holly!

Momma Ballou said...

Lucky!!! All I got was a cake. How do you wear that???? I want a pin next year!!!!!

*tif* said...

Regan gave me a flower. He too is in Alt. K. I'm alright with it I guess. I do like that you took the pin from him. My kids have problems giving me things like that they were supposed to have made for me. Silly kids!