Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The 1980's

Ok, a friend of mine went to a 50's dance last week (hi Tiffany) and listed on her blog all the 50's slang they learned to use that night. One word was "grody". Any other 80's kids remember that one?? Like, grody to the max! So I mentioned that there was some stuff from the 80's on there too. So I am officially going to date myself here. I am a self proclaimed 80's girl. I didn't do much, just got through the 80's in one piece! I graduated in 1989...WOW, was that a long time ago! So here are some memories and some currently used items from that totally awesome era!
Note that much of it is "Valley Girl" with a little "Dude" for fun...

Totally awesome
Totally
Like, whatever
Like
Gag me with a spoon
Dude
Like, Oh my gosh (the Mormon version)
Grody to the max (as afore mentioned)
Who you gonna call? (Ghostbusters!)
That's bad (as in totally awesome)
You are the bomb
Chill out
So rad
Gnarly dude
Lame
Whatcha talkin about Willis?
And so many more...
Those were the days of big permed ratted hair, acid washed jeans, leg warmers, head bands, Michael Jackson (the black one), Miami Vice, Mullets, parachute pants, break dancing (I seriously swore to my mom that it would last forever), cabbage patch dolls, Swatches, high tops and jelly shoes. Anyone remember those days? Did you get through unscathed or did you fall into the clutches of Valley Girl speak and great big leg warmers and big belts over your stone washed jeans?!?! I am, like, so totally over all that cheesy 80's, dude! I so totally need to go listen to some Bananarama on my Ipod!!

7 comments:

Momma Ballou said...

Oh my goodness, Where did you go to high school? I'm sure we would have been BFF. ALthough I graduated a year before you.

Jennie said...

I, like, went to high school in California (Union Ciy). I graduated from Alta, though. Are you a Valley Girl, too!? Like, that is totally awesome!

Crissy said...

like, This is TOTALLY AWESOME, DUDE!! (ooops, wait...DUDETTE?!!) That just doesn't sound right, LOL! I was like completely trapped in the 80's and I am still a little stuck in the 90's. Wouldn't a BFF be like 2000 thing? LOL! all those text messaging with the acronyms. TTFN ;)

*tif* said...

Loved it! I love going back in time for a few minutes! It totally rocks. Rad is one of the best 80's slang terms ever! Totally Rockin' blog dude!

Kim said...

TOO FUNNY! I totally still use a lot of those terms, for sure. Shane and I still call each other dude and both of our families make fun of us for it. Oh well, it's totally cool with us. :-)

Laurie said...

Oh, like, totally gag me with a spoon! The 80's were so bad! I loved the look: BIG hair that wouldn't move in a tornado, long oversized shirt with big belt around the middle, pegged acid-washed jeans, two pairs of color-alternating socks and high-top shoes. Oh, those were the days.

Hollyween said...

Like, I still use the term "gag me with a spoon." Like, what's you talkin' about Willis, sayin' it's 80's. Dude. Your blog rocks!