Thursday, February 7, 2008

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! 3 years ago next Tuesday (Feb. 12) Daniel and I got on a plane for China to get our baby girl. Before we left we decided that Chinese New Year would be an excellent cultural event to institute in our family. This the the 3rd annual Dredge family CNY! We celebrate by wearing our Chinese clothes (mostly for church on Sunday) or red (color of happiness and power) and get chinese take out and give red envelopes with money in them to our kiddos. We hang red lanterns in the house, too. CNY day begins a two week long party called the Spring Festival. It ends 14 days later with the Lantern Festival. We were in China to be a part of the Lantern Festival but were so exhausted by that time in our trip that we experienced it in our hotel room. Here we are with the ravages of Chinese dinner...

After dinner we gave them each a red envelope. They are given by the adults to the children to wish them good luck and good fortune.
They each got 1 dollar...no we aren't cheap we are frugal! No matter the amount, they were excited!
So far in our family we have a Dog, a Pig, a Dragon, a Horse and a Sheep. This is the year of the Rat...Will we have a Rat in the family??? We shall wait and see....

6 comments:

Momma Ballou said...

You've outdone yourself again. I want to be a Mom like you when I grow up.

Crissy said...

The year of the Dragon is what I think I am. What a fun tradition for your family, Jen!! I bet it is never a dull moment in your house with all the fun things you all do. Do you eat the Rice King next to Winegars? We love to get Chinese food there! It's really good. Love all the fun pics of everyone :)

Hollyween said...

We celebrated chinese new year growing up too since most of my family lived in Taiwan for a while. I've told you that, right?

I'm a horse. Neeeeiiiiiigh!

Cute pics, Jennie. You're good at everything!!!

Laurie said...

Cool! Looks like lots of fun. Your kids are so cute. I can't believe how much Ruthie has grown since you brought her home.

Andrea said...

Since I am a rat, maybe this year will be my year!! Maybe our girls will be rats too!! Happy CNY!! May it be "prosperous" for us all!!

Lisa and Tate said...

Happy CNY... what a great family tradition to have. This is something I hope to celebrate with Tate. Oh, I am a rooster- yikes!

Lisa