Monday, March 22, 2010

Make A Treat!

This would normally be Make A Meal, but treats just aren't meals. Well, not technically. I do like treats for meals. But that's just me. And even though much about life is all about me, I decided to just make a new post name.

Thus....


Make a Treat! With a ! .



Lemon Bars
You'll need...
1 stick butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
Mix it all together with your hands. It won't bite. Just wash your hands first. Then lick them after.
Pat it into an 8x8 pan. (No need to coat the pan with anything. Did you notice how much butter is in it? mmmm) Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
While that's yummin' up the kitchen, prepare the lemon filling...
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
3-4 Tablespoons lemon juice.
Mix together and pour over the baked crust. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sift a little (or a lot) of powdered sugar over the top. Cool completely before cutting.
My mom made these all the time while we were growing up. Much better than the boxed stuff you can get now. We had a HUGE lemon tree in our backyard and used those lemons to make these. We also used to eat the lemons with sugar poured over them. yum. The lemons were as big as cantelopes. Then my mom got all weird and said we couldn't eat them anymore because it was eating our tooth enamal. Who needs tooth enamal?! Seriously. They were yummy lemons! When real lemons aren't available for these tasty treats, lemon juice from a bottle works just fine.
Enjoy!
P.S. Ruthie was just looking for something to watch while eating her lunch. Guess where she stopped? Food Network. We're now watching the Barefoot Contessa. She's making something Greek for her hubby. Ruthie is enjoying every minute. Gotta love that!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Yummy! I love lemon bars, they are one of my favorites!!

Kates said...

Oh, the Food Network! Ruthie has good taste. I don't remember mom barring us from eating the lemons. I do remember how delicious they were. Makes me homesick for the Bay Area (almost).

Crissy said...

Those look delicious! Have fun watching the food network, hee hee :)

Kim said...

Ruthie is on the right track - that's one of my favorite channels!

Thank you so much for this recipe! Lemon bars are my favorite and I just made a boxed mix the other day and I was wishing that I had a good recipe for from-scratch bars. Lemons make me happy! So jealous that you had a lemon tree in your back yard! It took me a minute to remember that you grew up in CA - I was trying to figure out how you got a lemon tree to stay alive here. haha