Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Mark.

Last night we had a Relief Society dinner/Stomp. Does that scare you? Stomp. High School. Yikes. We brought our yearbooks and had taco salads and talked and talked. Then we had our lesson. Jen talked about making our mark in high school. Sports. Choir. Band. Cheerleading. Debate Club. Chess Club. Nerd. Druggie. Throwing up on someone. Etc.
It's been 21 years since I graduated from high school.
I went to my first 3 years of high school in California. That's where I grew up. And we started high school as freshmen in 9th grade. I'd show you my 9th grade picture, but...I won't.
During my 17th summer, right before my senior year, our family moved to Utah. Oh dread.
I hated it.
My point here is that while thinking about the mark I made in high school, I realized something.
I left a hole.
A deep dark hole.
I left my high school in California without graduating. So I wasn't remembered when planning reunions.
I only spent one year in high school in Utah and didn't talk much.
I hated it.
Remember?
I graduated, but am not remembered when planning reunions.
I didn't leave a mark large enough anywhere to be on a mailing list.
But you know, I don't mind. I wouldn't go back to California to a reunion because leaving that school was a huge blessing for me.
And I wouldn't go to a reunion here in Utah because I don't know any of them.
You see, about a week after graduation, I left. I moved to So Cal and started working and going to school.
When I did come back to Utah I was getting ready to go on a mission.
To California.
When I got back, I just moved on to other things.
So in thinking about leaving a mark in high school I had my eyes opened to having not left a mark at all. And I'm okay with that. High school is just a short and really awkward stage everyone has to go through. I would rather leave my mark as a wife. A mom. A teacher. A friend. A woman.
And I think I am doing just that.

7 comments:

Crissy said...

I know what you mean. I was really quiet in school (not much has changed) But all I hear from people is, "You were really quiet in school!" I guess that's the mark I left. I like to think of it as, I was trying to keep focus in school and get good grades. That worked for the most part, so it kind of made me a nerd as well.
You have definitely left a mark here! It's a good one too :)

Laurie said...

Amen!!!

Jen said...

Perfectly said! I was hoping that everyone would catch on that our "spiritual marks" are more important.

Crissy is right...You have definitely left a mark here and now! :)

Jen said...

And, boy did I ever leave a mark - on Vince Cowboy's boots. So wrong. So very, very wrong.

Kim said...

How refreshing to have the realization that leaving your mark in high school really didn't matter to you. I was the same way. I went to 3 different high schools because I moved so much. I used to get a little sad that I'm not remembered for the reunions but I realized that I keep in touch with most of the people that I would have wanted to see anyway so it's okay.

You are right - our eternal marks are what is important in our lives. You are awesome!

Kristi said...

Nice post. Something else that I've been thinking about. Don't you think that sometimes we leave a mark in place where we think we were all but invisible? I hope that's true, or at least I think I do . . . .

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Yes you are...leaving a mark now. Although folks remember me in high school- I have to say I am glad it was not the time that I "peaked" as my best friend did as she ahs never recovered...never moved on and is still stuck in the past.