Monday, April 20, 2009

Make A Treat Monday.

This is a good one. Not too sweet. In fact, you probably have all the ingredients already and it's pretty healthy, if I do say so myself. Here's the thing. I found this on a food storage website and had never heard of this before. Skookie. Have you heard of it? Do you already have a Skookie pan? I don't have a Skookie pan. I do have a cast iron skillet. So here it is...

Skookie
2 C Oats
1 1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 C Butter
1 C Peanut Butter
1 C Sugar
1 C Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 C Chocolate Chips
In a medium bowl combine oats, flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the sugars until blended. Add eggs, vanilla and then flour mixture until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough at least an hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add a handfull of cookie dough. Press into skillet to 1/2 inch thickness and with in 1/2 inch of sides. Bake 10-15 minutes or until top of cookie is light golden brown. Really.
Here is my dough spread to 1/2 inch thickness and 1/2 inch from the sides.
I also thought I'd try the dough this way.
And of course, we always have to try the dough this way!
I cooked it about 2 minutes too long. It was a dark golden brown. Almost just brown.
These even came out nice. I only baked these about 9 minutes.
This is the first piece I took from the skillet. It's supposed to be pie shaped.
Here is the third piece. I could scoop it better with some room in the skillet.
So there you have it...whole wheat flour, oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips. Healthy. Now it says to serve it with ice cream on top. Or caramel sauce. Or hot fudge. We just ate it plain. Yum. So go try it and enjoy!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I do have a skookie pan! I may just have to crack it out and make a skookie for FHE. Thanks for the treat idea and recipe!

Crissy said...

Yummy! I need either a skookie pan or cast iron. I will need to try this though. It looks good :)

Susie said...

I so don't pride myself on my baking skills. All the yummy stuff you make looks too hard for me to try. I like box brownies!