Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Once Upon A Time... Part 3

Thanksgiving Morning. Beautiful, sunny, chilly day. I dressed in slacks and a nice shirt. I set the table and Martha-tized it. It looked good. I looked good. I think I had asked my brothers in law to please be nice and let him join in the guy stuff after dinner. All my family got there a bit early. Ken didn't get there until right before dinner. (Was he already having dinner? Hmmm...) I introduced him to everyone. There are lots of us, so we always say there will be a test later. 3 sisters, 3 brothers in law, 2 nephews, 1 neice, 3 brothers, 1 of those brothers was on a mission. Even those gone on a mission are part of the test. He was ok with it all. He came from a large family himself.

We ate dinner and talked and had fun. Then came time for the guys to go out and play basketball and the girls to make a craft. My sisters had questions and comments about Ken, but we talked about other things, too. I didn't ever go outside. Even now that my cute hubby plays, I don't go out and watch. Something about a bunch of grown men sweating and huffing and puffing and knocking each other.... Now they're all older and the huffing and puffing comes into the house. Oh, sorry, the reminiscing got sidetracked with last Sunday!

After a while outside, all the guys came in. I watched for Ken. I kept watching. He didn't come in. So I asked them where Ken was. They said he was just there. My BIL Sean said he played like a maniac. He was quick and they enjoyed playing with him. I figured he may need some private moments in the bathroom, so I waited a few minutes. It soon became obvious that he wasn't coming back. Maybe he was scared to come in where we all were. You know, sweating, huffing and puffing. So I went hunting for him. Not in the back, not in the basement, not upstairs, not on the main floor, none of the bathrooms. I went out to the front yard and realized his car was gone! He Left!

The jerk. Oh, but wait, maybe he was hurt, maybe he got an emergency call and had to hightail it out of there. But wouldn't he come and tell me? I asked all the guys what actually happened out there. Did you smack him? Did you tell him off? Did you hurt him? Did you do anything at all? Notice anything at all? Not a thing. He was fine. He seemed to have fun. He got along with everyone. Hmmm. Another disappearing act. Only now, I'm a little put off. Ok, I'm ticked! The nerve! I tried calling his house. No answer. I finally gave up and started to move on with the day. Maybe my family was just too much and he took the only way out he could think of. Slink away like a coward. Yellow bellied..... Oh! Wait! He's back! He just waltzed in and said hi.

I grabbed him and we had a little talk. I asked what was going on. Where did you go? Why didn't you say anything to me? I was worried. Did my dad or my brothers say something? Do something? What the heck?? He just said, "What are you talking about? " WHAT. AM. I. TALKING. ABOUT???????? Do you usually go off and leave the family and girl behind who invited you to spend Thanksgiving with them? Without a word? "I was here all the time" he says. Huh? What the heck? Your car was gone. It's been over an hour! WHERE. WERE. YOU. Do you need a translator? I would be happy to rip your ears off and reattach them so you can hear better! He was a little put out that I would accuse him. HUH? Was I going nuts? Batty? Did he do something to me that night in the cemetery? He could tell I was getting mad. Maybe I was too subtle at the beginning. Then, he finally admitted it. "I went home to take a shower and change" Why didn't you just say, "Hey, Jennie, I'm-a gonna go home and take me a quick shower (so I can try to kiss you later)." I would have a been fine with that. So we closed the day down. He asked if he could make it up to me. He said a lot of nice things to get back in my good graces. Ok. I give. I'll keep on keepin on.

What exactly is going on here? I kept thinking if this was really a good idea anymore. I think I was definitely being taken advantage of and I wasn't enjoying myself. There were so many unanswered questions and little hints at something I didn't quite understand.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my word! He has a second family doesn't he? Doesn't he? The creep!

Who the heck leaves a party for an hour then acts like nothing happened?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with this "guy".

Lisa and Tate said...

Yikes.... what happened??

Laurie said...

hahahahaha! This was all so that you would appreciate Daniel so much more when he came along.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I look dang good, even when sweety ;)

Jennie said...

Yes, Daniel, You do look good, even when sweety. Oh, and sweaty!

Sarah said...

this just gets more and more weird! seriously, you need to tell it all upfront. i hate the suspense :)

Momma Ballou said...

You're killing me girl! Can't wait to see how this all unfolds...

Kim said...

What a jerk!!! I can't believe he denied even being gone! Who does that? Eeeewww I don't like this guy.

Kim said...

p.s. I love that Daniel reads your blog.

Crissy said...

Oh my Gosh!! I would have been totally P.O.'ed too!! How rude!! can't wait to hear about the part where you tell him to take a hike and meet up with Daniel!!