Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Once Upon A Time... Part 6

Jim worked on another collection team at Discover Card. I didn't know him, but had seen him around. He came over to talk to a guy on my team a lot. He was older, in his late 30's. (Hmmm, perspective says that isn't so old anymore, thinks the now 37 year old!!)

That friend, let's call him Dave, came and asked me if I knew Jim. I said I know who he is. He wanted to know if I would like to go out with him? I asked him to tell me a little about him. He was 36 or 37, was divorced, had a 14 year old son, owns a home, wants to open a business, He's LDS, and he's a really nice guy. Now Dave knew what I had just been through. He was a kind of friend to me at work. In a wierd sort of way. (Remember Dave, Katie? Hee hee.) He did like to watch over me, though. So I give him credit.

I agreed. I needed a nice guy to go out with. Jim came over and introduced himself and asked if I would like to go out that weekend. I said yes. He said to dress nice. He would be there at 6 to pick me up. I hated this part...dress nice? Did he think I would dress like a slob? Come on!

I told my parents I was going out with this guy from work. They were ok with it. They were still put off by the last guy. Remember him? Ken? Yeah. So my dad said he would come meet him when he came to pick me up. Jim got there and was in a trench coat, so I couldn't see what he was wearing. He handed me some beautiful pink roses. I gave them to my dad to put in the kitchen. How sweet. Maybe this would be ok. He took me to Chili's for dinner. He mentioned his disappointment that I didn't wear a dress. Been there, done that. When he took off his coat, he revealed a suit! Yes. A three piece suit. I was wearing black slacks and a nice shirt. He mentioned something about dressing up when he goes on a date. It shows his character as a gentleman. Uhuh. Ok. That's just weird.

We talked a lot through dinner. He was nice. He talked about church and how dedicated he was. He was a convert and loved the peace of being a member of the church. He talked about his plans to own his own business one day. He talked about his divorce. His wife got really bizarre after she had their son. She kinda went off the deep end. So he took the boy and went through the military divorce system and got full custody. He was raising their son on his own. Then he met another woman who he fell in love with and they got married. (WAIT A MINUTE! He had been married twice?? This was a surprise.) She decided that being a mother to a son that wasn't hers was too much. She hurt the boy and he didn't like that. So they divorced. It was nice that he was so dedicated to his son.

We went to see You've Got Mail at a theater. We enjoyed the movie. He took me home and asked if I would like to go out again. Sure. So we agreed to take our breaks at the same time at work on Monday. This was nice. I was so glad to be dating someone nice. Good looking. A family guy.

Maybe he would be the one. My knight coming to rescue me from certain sister wives...

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Woohoo, the next guy! Well, it started off pretty good, seems like a nice normal guy. Except for the 2 divorces.

Jen said...

Good grief! Who wears a dress and a suit to the movies? But he does seem nice... SO FAR! I have a feeling, things are going to get a little tricky.

Crissy said...

Sounds better than the last guy! But obviously not the one ;)
Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Dave???? Hmm.. if I remember correctly his name actually started with a "C". Would I be correct? - Katie

Jennie said...

No, Katie, It was Dave Shu.... Remember him? I don't think C was on my team anymore...or maybe I just backed off that one already. Who knows?

Kim said...

Interesting that he would consider wearing a full suit when planning on dinner and a movie - aren't those jeans-wear places? Hmmm...can't wait to see where this one goes...