Monday, July 7, 2008

The Sarajune Project

I thought it would be nice, and perhaps a bit therapeutic, to do another Sarajune Project update.
Ok, so maybe it's really just therapeutic because I was at a funeral this morning and my contacts are dry and weird because I actually closed out the funeral by ugly-crying. So unattractive.
My friend Zenda passed away last Wednesday from a brain aneurysm, and so many memories and thoughts have been streaming through my mind. Zenda, her hubby Paul, and son Casey, moved into our neighborhood shortly after we did. Daniel and I were newly weds and then I was newly pregnant. Zenda served on a Homemaking board with me. She was relentless in her friendship and kindness. She has known me through my marriage, my pregnancies and our adoption. She was one of the people I asked to write a letter of recommendation for Ruthie's adoption application. She wrote a beautiful letter that had me in tears and very appreciative of her notice of me and my family. When we traveled to China to get Ruthie, she watched from her computer when I would update our travel website. She was one of the first people to come visit when we got home and the first Sunday we went to church, she sat next to me on the couch and let Ruthie touch her fingernails and rings. That is the memory I will forever have of Zenda. I know it's one that she will always remember, too. When we meet again, I know she will ask, "How is Ruthie? I can't believe how big she is and how much she's changed. Do you remember when we sat and she just played with my fingernails? I will never forget that." I know that's what she'll say, because it's what she always said.
I asked her if she would be willing to do another letter of recommendation for Sarajune's adoption. I don't think a herd of wild stallions could have stopped her from another stunning letter. On this adoption, her question was always, "Have you heard anything? Don't worry, you'll get your baby. I know you will." I am sure she will go and introduce herself to Sarajune soon. She will say what a wonderful family she is coming to and that she wouldn't find another family to love her like we will. If she is surprised that it's James that is getting ready to come, she will hug him and tell him the same thing. She'll also elbow him and say, "Boy, your parents will sure be surprised, won't they?" Then she'll laugh her fantastic laugh and then go meet the others waiting to come to their families that she knew.
That's what I'm holding on to right now. Even though I have so many wonderful people there to know my daughter before she comes, Zenda's visit to her just comforts me. I will miss her. I know I will see her again. I know she was waiting excitedly for another baby to come to us.
Ok. I feel better. That was therapeutic. My baby's in good hands and I hope Zenda is enjoying getting to know her while I wait impatiently for pigs to fly.

9 comments:

Crissy said...

Beautiful post about Zenda, Jennie! Just as she was here, she is STILL showing a concern for each and everyone. I know you have your baby soon! Patience is definitely a virtue I don't have, but it just always seems to work out so perfect with those things you just need to wait for ;)
Now I need to go find some tissue again!

Andrea said...

She sounds like a nice person, sorry for the loss of a dear friend. It is hard to see people so involved with our journeys pass before the end of them.

Kim said...

Jennie - this is so sweet.I'm sorry for the heartache that you are going through right now. I didn't know Zenda that well, even though we were in the same Ward for 2 years. But she had a happy glow about her that I do remember. I'm sure she is having fun up in Heaven with those babies!

Laurie said...

Very sweet post, Jennie! I hope the funeral went well. And Sarajune is in really good hands until she gets to yours.

Jen said...

That is so neat the Zenda wrote that letter of recommendation for Ruthie's adoption! What a wonderful gift. She will be greatly missed.

Momma Ballou said...

Very nice post. I was actually at the garden store across the street while the funeral was going on. I didn't know her but I've heard many great things about her. great memories you'll always have.

Mama Bear said...

What a beautiful post. I've actually been thinking alot about a fairly similar situation with my "dad" who passed away in August. I know he was there preparing (warning) Konner for life with us just as Zenda is doing for your little one. I wish I knew her better, but what I did know was such a sweet person.

Anonymous said...

Wow- I am in tears reading this! It's amazing how many people touch our lives & love us. I am thankful your family got the experience Zenda- she sounds wonderful.

Leanne

Hollyween said...

Okay, I'm catching up with your blog!
I love this post about Zenda! I had no idea the relationship between the two of you.

And I agree with her... that you will get your baby.