Monday, July 28, 2008

Once Upon A Time... Part 5

My parents weren't home. They were gone for a few days. I called them, but they couldn't do much from where they were. ( I don't remember where they were) My dad was angrier than I was. He knew there was something he didn't like about Ken! I called Jodie and asked her if she knew. She didn't. She was completely surprised. I told her she had better have a nice long talk with the brother she was really wanting to marry. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't sit down. I couldn't concentrate. I called my sister,Katie, and her husband, Sean. Sean was angry and wanted to go take him out. I was really ready to watch as he did.

On Sunday I grabbed Jodie at church and asked her what the brother said. He told her that their mother married a polygamist and lives in a colony in Utah county. He didn't agree with the lifestyle and wasn't going to have multiple wives. So Jody was placated. She thought it was ok to keep dating him. I strongly disagreed.

I took her with me to talk to the Bishop. I didn't have my parents to counsel with and needed some fatherly guidance. My Bishop took us in his office and I told him everything. Everything! He was quiet and then got up with a smile on his face and said that we both needed to not see them anymore. No problem here! Jodie, now that's another story! She wasn't willing to walk away just yet. Over time, I got her to see the stupidity of the situation. To my delight and relief, she finally agreed.

In the meantime, the Bishop gave us a book to read. It was a book that his friend wrote about how polygamist men work to get older LDS women who want to get married and marry them. In the temple. Then slowly get them to agree to the fact that Joseph Smith really wanted us all to live with multiple wives, even now. And then they start looking for sister wife to add to the mix. And then another, etc. In order to get in good with the woman's family (parents, especially) they give gifts...apples, scarf, mittens, there was a jewelry box in there somewhere, too, and flowers. (I'm glad my parents weren't impressed!) They know all the words to say to LDS women. They show interest in marrying in the temple. Boy, was this book written about Ken?I remembered when he saw a friend on our first date. Remember? Probably was there to check me out. And then the friend who was supposed to meet us at the ice skating rink? Probably was supposed to let me feel the love of plural marriage. He didn't live with his brother. How can you when you have wives and children? I firmly believe he needed to go see his family on Thanksgiving and decided to make it a shower, too.

My parents came home and I told them everything I was learning about the way these guys worked. My mom and dad were very supportive and helped a great deal. They said that if he tried to contact me, there would be hell to pay. (Love it!) One night, it was late, and my parents were in bed, I was in my room (I lived in their basement) and the phone rang. I went out to look at the called ID because my parents weren't answering. It was Ken. I thought for a split second, then answered.

"What."

"How are you?"

"What do you want?"

"I just want to talk to you and explain..."

"No! I don't want any explanations. I know what you are and I don't want anything to do with you."

"Please."

"You lied to me!"

"No......(long pause).......I didn't."

"Was that your wife and kids at the restaurant?"

"No." He was sounding defeated and quiet.

"I know you're lying. I know what you are and if you call again, I will call the police."

"Please..."

"Don't call me again!"

Slam.

That felt good! I was energized! I ran up to my parents' room. They were waiting for me. I told them what I said and they were so proud of me. It was finally over for me. Done!

Not too long after that, he called again. This time my brother answered. He told Ken to leave me alone, I had moved on and he would take care of him if he heard or saw him again. I love my brother.

Meanwhile, at work, there was this guy named Jim....

6 comments:

Laurie said...

EW! What a creep! So glad that didn't last any longer than it did! Can't wait for the next guy. Hope you find lots of fun stuff to do on this hot summer day!

Kim said...

I can't believe he denied it AGAIN!!! I shouldn't admit it..but in some perverse way I wonder what he would have told you as an explaination, and what his sister and her husband would have told you. Hmmmm... You were so good to go to the Bishop. What was the name of that book that he gave you? Obviously, I don't want to be a polygamist (I can't sit through the lessons that talk anything about it in church..let's just say that I haven't embraced that history of our church), but I do wonder what makes them tick.

Jen said...

The polygamist pig had some nerve to call you after trying to conning you into becoming a sister wife!

Sooooo Jim, huh? :)

Crissy said...

CREEPY,CREEPY, CREEPY!! I can't beleive he called either.

Sarah said...

What in the world? Seriously, you leave me speechless everytime i read about this!

Sarah said...

Oh and are you implying you're an old lady with those sandals? :)