Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mmmmm....Conga Bars

Sometimes a girl just has to blog about desserts!
There are a couple of stories that I've been telling my kiddos lately from my childhood. I've repeated them so many times that I've started adding additional Wowzers just for effect. There is one story involving Conga Bars, a back porch and a possum (or is it opossum?)
Once upon a time...(Sound familiar?) My mom made some Conga Bars for us. They were a bit burned and smelled, well, you know, burned. So she put them out on the back porch to cool off and smell out there.
I suppose she forgot about them, because the next thing we knew, there was a visitor on the back porch. A possum. An opossum. Whatever. We lived in California and had very large trees in the backyard. He probably lived in those trees. (My kids think it's so cool that we had a possum in the backyard!)
It was dark (obviously, when an opossum is involved) and so we turned on the porch light. He looked up at us as if to say, "Well hello there." (My kids think that's so funny!) So we sat and watched him eat the Conga Bars until it was time to get jammies on. At bedtime, we decided to get up the next morning to see how much he'd eaten and if he was still there.
He wasn't. But he did eat all the Conga Bars.
Oh, you want to see one???
That's a Conga Bar, not a possum (opossum).
This is Sam pointing out (as they were taking a serious amount of time to cool) a crater in the Conga Bars.

And here's the recipe. (Because I'm really nice!)

Beat together: 3 eggs, 2/3 cup oil, 2 1/2 cups brown sugar.

Add: 2 3/4 cups flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 package chocolate chips.

Spread in a greased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, add small drops of milk until it makes a glaze.

Spread over bars while still hot. Here's the hard part...let cool completely before cutting into them.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Yummy! They look delicious - thanks for the recipe! That is such a fun story! It's so cool when kids are entertained with the stories we have of growing up.

Kim said...

p.s. I love your new background! Very cute!

Laurie said...

mmm, I haven't had those in a long time! I remember the possum/opposum eating the burned conga bars. So fun! It's been a while since I told my kids that story. I'll have to bake some and reminisce.

Jen said...

Ya know I've seen the recipe for Conga Bars so many times over the years and I have never had them? What's wrong with me?

You've inspired me, I must try them!

Andrea said...

We had those growing up too, just no glaze. Now I am going to have to make some!! Thanks for sharing!

Crissy said...

Yummy!! Thanks for the recipe! I need to try that :)
Love the story behind the conga bars!