Thursday, August 28, 2008

Once Upon A TIme... Part 12

The next morning, my mom asked how the date went. Wonderful. Incredible. I love him. Ok. I just said the first one. I asked my dad what he thought. This brought out the thoughtful side in him. He went back about 2 months. Yep. This all happened within a 2 month period. He said Ken was odd. There was something really wrong with him. Uhuh! Got it! Jim was too smooth. Too oily. Uhuh! Got it. Dan, well now Dan was different. My dad liked Dan. Said Dan was nice. Thought he looked like Jim Carrey. I could definitely go out with him again. Thanks. Don't mind if I do.

This was my official last week at Discover Card. I had given my two weeks the week before. My team leader wondered if it had something to do with Jim. Wellll... No. I just need to move on with my life. This was a huge step in that direction. I spent the week saying good bye to people I had worked with for so long. I fear change and was nervous about what was a big step in my life.
At the same time, I was so excited about this new guy. I didn't have any weirdness when I thought of him. Maybe he was my T.O. But if he wasn't, it was ok. I would be ok.

Thursday came and he called. Oh. To hear his voice. I got all giddy again. We talked for about an hour. He said he would come get me at 6 on Saturday. A second date. This time it would be just the two of us. I liked that idea.

Friday night. I had a date with a guy named Craig. I had gone out with him a couple of times. I don't remember why I thought going out with him would be ok, considering my plan. Maybe it was because my Bishop had told me during the Ken stuff that Craig had told him that, "if I had to get married, I would marry Jennie". Serious? Then why didn't he ask me out more? Why didn't he get serious with me? What was he thinking telling the Bishop that when he knew darn well the Bishop would tell me? Weird! (See, I attract weird ones!) Anyway, because I was going out for a third time with him, my mom said that angels must be singing in heaven because I had told her I wouldn't ever go out with him again because the Bishop said he never dated a girl more than 2 times. (Run on, sorry!) I must have been special! Oh, wait. He would marry me if he "Had To". Whatever. I felt like I was cheating on someone! Oh, yeah. I had met this brown eyed angel...

6:00 Saturday, January 9, 1999. Our second date. Oh, so exciting. He said he had heard of a Mexican restaurant in neighboring Draper, called Guadalahonky's. I'll eat anywhere you want to eat, handsome. Good thing I like Mexican. We sat, we ate, we talked. A lot. He was the easiest to talk to of anyone I knew. I really like talking to him. He filled me in on more of his life. I filled him in on mine. I told him I am a Diabetic and take insulin. It's a second date tell all for me. That's when I figure I'll weed out any wimps. He asked a lot of questions, but didn't seem deterred. I told him I was starting a new job down in Provo on Monday. I was nervous. He talked me through my nerves and got me excited about it.

We then drove around the Murray area looking for something. A bowling alley. On a Saturday night. We couldn't find one with open lanes. So we went to a theater near my house and saw The Prince of Egypt. You know, the Disney version of something. (This is a date we went on often while engaged (Yes! We got engaged!!) and while married until a little person joined our duo, making us a threesome that no longer went to the theater.) He brought me home...

I asked him if he wanted to come in. He smiled that smile and said yes. My parents were in bed and my brothers must have been, too. The house was dark and no one was up. We went to the family room and sat and talked. For hours. Since he lived in Kaysville and we were in Sandy, he finally decided to head home. Darn. He gave me a hug and said he would call the next day. He did.

On Sunday night he called and soothed my nerves again. He told me to take some Ibuprofen when I went to bed so I could relax. He was excited for my new job and was super supportive. When we finally said good night, he said he would call me again on Thursday to see how it was going and he asked if we could go out again on Saturday. He was methodical if nothing else. Oh, yeah! And handsome. And nice. And great. And Wonderful...

Monday started with a new job in Provo. I was excited. I went in and did a great job. I impressed. I told my new boss again that I would be there for the long haul. No sense telling him I met this gorgeous guy and hoped to marry him some day. The day went well. I had a whole new language to learn...insurance in Spanish. I could talk the gospel, but this was all new to me. During the week, I had a co-worker teach me how to talk Spanish insurance and started to get it down.

All week I worked, learned and dreamed. There was a distraction in my thoughts. It took over me. I couldn't wait till Thursday so I could talk to Dan and go through my first week at work with him. When Thursday finally came, I rushed home through 6:00 rush hour to get that phone call. When he called I told him all about my week. He was impressed with my ability to speak Spanish and to use it in my work.

We made plans for Saturday night and it was all I could do get through Friday and Saturday. Finally 6:00 came and I was ready for action!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Oooooo! Things are getting juicy!

That's funny that your Dad said Dan looked like Jim Carrey. That's EXACTLY what I thought when I first saw him!

Can't wait til part 13!

Crissy said...

LOL!! Jim Carrey!! Ummmmm, Yeah!! Guilty of thinking that too. Although, Daniel has a MUCH better personality than Jim Carrey! So you definitely got the better end of the deal with someone who is Temple Worthy.
Love these, Jennie! Can't wait for the next part.

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Okay- I had read the polygamy story & kept up on your blog except for the wife beater and now Daniel. I am finally up to date (Of course I am always up to date with your cute pictures posted)! You are the best story teller in the world! I am waiting for the next installment!

Miss you!

L.

Laurie said...

So sweet. I remember first meeting Daniel and thinking "Dan, Dan, the Maytag man" and he really did remind me of JIm Carrey

Kim said...

YEAH! More story!

That's funny...I never thought Dan looked like Jim Carrey...Dan seemed too serious to me. Obviously I didn't know him very well. Sorry Dan!!!