Saturday, August 16, 2008

Once Upon A Time... Part 10

How did she know? Well, I was grinning from ear to ear. That may have tipped her. And, of course, the yearning she had that I meet my T.O. (The One) and get married. "Yes." She asked about it. I told her. I was giddy. I couldn't wait till 5!

At 5:01 the phone rang. I answered. Oh. This is so exciting!

"Hello."

"Hi, Jennie?"

"Yes!"

"How are you?"

"I'm fine, how are you?"

"Great! So I thought I would tell you a little about me. Is that ok?"

"Yes!"

"I grew up in Kaysville. I am 28 years old. I'm the 6th of 8 kids. My mom and dad are serving a mission in Vietnam. I have a degree in Computer Science. I work for Oracle. I served a mission in California. I have never been married. I don't have any kids. I am the favorite uncle. I have a current temple recommend. I just used it 3 weeks ago. I am the membership clerk in my ward. I worked on my grandpa's farm every summer growing up....." He just spilled. Then he said, "I figured I would let you know all that considering your last dating experiences. I'm a nice guy."

The first thing that caught my attention was that he was much older than I thought. 28. Yes!! He's tall and he's older. I love this already. He asked if we could go out with Larena and her date on Saturday night. Yes! He would come pick me up at 6. He said he would call on Friday, January 1, to make sure we were still on.

I was hooked! This was already better than any other dating experience. And we hadn't even gone on a date! I told my parents. They were a little nervous, especially my dad. I didn't have a good track record in this area lately.

Friday came and I was up early just in case he called early. He didn't. I was a little bugged. Why didn't he call? Finally, the phone rang. 1:30. He just woke up. Late night shenanigans for New Years Eve. He actually was surprised that I wasn't out shopping. No, just waiting for your phone call, handsome. We talked for a little while. We settled our plans for the following night and I couldn't have been happier. I loved talking to him.

Finally Saturday came. My heart sang. Dan was coming for me this evening. Oh, joy! I had butterflys in my tummy. I could just barely get anything done. I had already picked what to wear. I won't go into that because it doesn't matter. He didn't tell me to dress up. There were no nuances of ettiquette and dress standards. I was ready.

I had asked my dad to be there when he came to get me. I told him to just grab my arm and say I wasn't going to be able to go if he could see this was a creep in the doorway. I knew I could count on my dad. We were there together in the entryway when the doorbell rang.

4 comments:

Mama Bear said...

I'm so intrigued at what "goofy guy" had planned...I can't wait for the next installment! Hope Flaming Gorge worked out for you.

Jen said...

I loved how Dan laid it all out on the table for you. Wouldn't dating have been easier if everyone just followed his example!

I'm 24 years old and have kissed 75guys. I'm the oldest of six kids. Each of us have a different dad. I am the Sunbeams Primary Teacher in my ward and currently on a campaign to get released by duct taping the little varmints to their chairs and not calling a sub when I am out of town. I enjoy long walks on the beach, and to be waited on, hand and foot. I dropped out of highschool and have no plans of getting my GED. I plan on marrying a plastic surgeon.

Like I said, would dating have been so much easier?

Kim said...

That is so cool that he told you everything about him right away. How generous of him! The rest of us had to months years figuring that stuff out!

Crissy said...

You are such a tease leaving us hanging at the doorbell!
I love that Daniel came out and told you everything he possibly could about himself.
Can't wait for the next installment :)