Friday, August 8, 2008

Once Upon A Time... Part 9 (enter "goofy guy")

Amidst all these fantastic changes in my life, I had the biggest change of all come. As I said in part 1, I was the Gospel Doctrine teacher in my singles ward. And I was the music chair and led the choir (which we'll discuss later) and led the Sacrament music. I had a lot of callings! The Sunday before Christmas, 1998, I was teaching. I noticed this really cute guy there. I hadn't seen him before. He looked young and I figured he was just home from a mission. 23 years old, tops! He had a fantastic smile. And those eyes!

Wait!! What was I thinking?? I was so over that! He was surely too young anyway. In my lesson, I talked about my 2 recent dating experiences. I don't know what it had to do with the lesson, but it fit. And it set some things in motion.

I always brought a treat when I taught. (Oh yeah, I was the favorite teacher!)When I went to pick up the treat basket after class, this guy was just sitting there smiling at me. He said hi. I said hi. Oh, how I loved that smile. Oh! Dang, wake up, Jennie!!! But, those dark brown beautiful eyes! We aren't doing that, remember?? You are single, you have a plan, you are finally happy!

Really? Oh, yeah, right. I went home and thought about the cute guy from Gospel Doctrine only once a day the rest of the week. The next Sunday was December 20. The choir sang for Christmas. I led the choir in beautiful music. I was good! I looked really good, too. I wore the prettiest thing I had. Even the counselor in the Bishopric said I looked beautiful. (Is that weird?) I looked for him during the hymns, (that guy, not the Bishopric counselor!) but couldn't see him. I was bummed. The thing is, I was done dating. What was I doing thinking about this stranger? So I was ready to move on with my wonderful life.

The following Sunday I saw him again! Oh boy! I was so thrilled. I didn't teach that day, but because I was in the Sunday School presidency (is it ok to have a girl secretary in the Sunday School Presidency?) I went back and forth to make sure we had teachers in Gospel Doctrine and Gospel Essentials. He was standing there in the hall way with the girl he came with. She was a friend of mine. Larena was her name. I kept walking past them. He kept watching me. I could feel it. I was doing this on purpose, too. Then Larena stopped me and said, "Jennie, this young man thinks you're cute and would like to ask you on a date!" I looked at him. He was smiling at me. At me! I loved it! I think I was hooked even though I still figured him to be about 23. I could go for a younger guy. If it was him. I said hi. He said his name was Dan. Oh! Oh! Oh! My heart. That smile. Those eyes! He was tall! I loved tall. I needed tall so my kids would have a chance.

Wait! What was I thinking?? He asked if he could call me. I said yes! Yes!! I gave him my number and he said he would call at about 5:00. So precise. I headed to class, smiling all the way! This was a good day!

I got home from church and my mom was at the table. I walked in and said, "I am such a loser!"

My mom, in her infinite wisdom, said, "Oh, do you have a date?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jennie, who knew you could be such a flirt? .. I love mom's infinite wisdom! - Katie

Jen said...

So cute! I hoped to marry a tall guy also so that my kids would also have a chance of being tall. Didn't happen. We're a family of shorties.

Can't wait to hear Part 10!

Crissy said...

Ok, I have to say that this qualifies for "Love at first sight" It sounds like you two just fell head over heels with each other the first time you laid eyes on each other. So CUTE!! :)
Looking forward to the next one!

Sarah said...

your mom sounds hilarious! definitely, love at first sight.

Laurie said...

Ha! who knew you could be so smitten with a goofy guy?!

Kim said...

YEAH!!! Daniel finally comes into the picture - Your Hero!

I wanted to marry a tall guy so we could have really tall kids also, but then I met Shane (who is only 1 3/4 inch - he adds the 3/4 - taller than me) and we adopted. Funny how life works out.