Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Funny Bones and Veterans

I grew up having watched the Wizard of Oz. I remember it being terribly long. When given the opportunity to see Wicked next year, I thought it might be nice to see the old Wiz again. So we borrowed my in-laws copy. My kiddos have been watching it tirelessly since we had a movie night with it on Sunday. They giggle, they sing along, they giggle more. I love it. It's not 3 hours long either. I always thought it was 3 hours long. It's less than 2. I love singing along and hearing the quotes that are used by people who probably don't even know they're quoting the Oz movie. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" "We're not in Kansas anymore" "And your little dog, too" "Put em up, put em up" "Lions and Tiger and Bears, Oh my!" I could go on and on...
Anyway, yesterday Ruthie was watching...Again...and when the lion is scared of the Wizard she starts this giggling. The giggling starts getting more and more bubbly and seriously bubbles out of her. Then the lion jumps out the window. It's all over. She is giggling so uncontrollably that she's on the floor and can't breath. Then, when she does catch her breath, she says, "That touched my funny bone!" So then I start laughing! Then towards the end, she starts the giggling all over again and says, "That hit my funny bone!!" Oh just shoot me now. She just slays me with the things she says!
On to more serious matters. Today is Veteran's Day. My flag is out in front and waving in the cold November breeze. I love our flag! I also am so grateful to thousands of men and women who serve and have served our country. My dad is one of them. He served in combat in Vietnam and has only recently shared memories and experiences from his service to our country in what was a very troubled time. I am grateful for his experience and willingness to serve.
War sucks. It's awful and horrible. I love freedom. And I love the fact that we can protect those who can't protect themselves from tyrany. There are things that are worth fighting a war for...freedom, family, religion. Our country is indebted to tireless men and women who have served so valiantly for those things.
Thank You!

7 comments:

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Okay it looks like I copied your post but I really saw it after I did mine :)

The Wizard of Oz scared the heck out of me when I was a kid....surprised Ruthie finds it funny. She has the greatest laugh!

Crissy said...

I use to watch that movie so many times! First time scared the wits out me. Got over that by the 50th viewing. Yeah, My stepmom would play that movie over and over again.
How funny that Ruthie just giggled through it! So cute!

Sarah said...

that's too cute! and diddo about veterans day. so grateful for all!

Laurie said...

The Wizard of Oz gives me the heebie jeebies! I don't think my kids have ever seen it. So sad .

Andrea said...

I love the Wizard of Oz too! Annie is a fun one to watch now that I am older, too. Thanks for flying the flag today! Now with Devin enlisting, I look at the whole thing differently.

Misty said...

How funny! My kids get so scared of any show with anything scary in it! They end up on the floor in my room in the middle of the night! And yes, I too, am so grateful for our veterans. My grandpa was in WWII and his stories were amazing. He went through so much. We are so blessed.

Kim said...

I totally thought Wizard of Oz was at least 3 hrs long too! But I loved it anyway. Ruthie is too funny - what a cute girlie!
We are so lucky to live in a country that can defend others.