Friday, July 31, 2009

Flashback Friday

But first I will address my "Obviously!" post. My sister Laurie just told me what to do to fix my sidebars. Thank you! My life is now complete.


As I said before, Isaac found a quarter in a door jam. So he got the pliers and pulled it out. Sam and Ruthie huddled around him to admire his handy work. Then Isaac said it was dated "1981".
Do you know what this started??
Isaac says, "Wow, that was sooooo long ago. I wasn't even born yet."
Sam says, "That's like a thousand years ago!"
Ruthie says, "It's so ancient!"
Yeah. I'd like to show you "1000 years ago". This is Daniel 1000 years ago. Isn't he cute?! He was 11 years old. So I guess that makes him 1011 years old.
And this is me "1000 years ago". I am now 1010 years old. And feeling every year of it.
1000 years ago I was in 5th grade. I had my most favorite teacher in 5th grade. Mrs. Pickett.
It was also my first experience with a kid puking in class. We had all of our chairs up on our desks when a kid hurled! Loudly. Splashingly. Grossly.

That was my first experience with a gagging reflex. A reflex made stronger with pregnancies.

It was also where I learned about black lung disease. Mrs. Pickett's dad had been a lifelong smoker. She described what her dad's lungs looked like because of the heavy smoking. I was sufficiently turned off from ever smoking.

I loved the dress you see in the picture. I wore it a lot. I loved it. Do you understand?

I wonder if I would have thought Daniel was cute if we had been in the same class in 5th grade.

I definitely think he's cute now.

4 comments:

Kates said...

That top photo of Isaac is just a morphed photo of the two below it! How cute you both were. I mean are! And I remember that dress well.

Susie said...

I love the new look. I may have to "pick" your brain on how to get mine right as well.

Crissy said...

What a great idea for a post (from and ancient quarter!! hee hee) I was 6 years old. Not a good year for my family, but that's ok! Cause I think I turned out pretty good :)
Love that dress! I would probably wear it alot too :)

Kim said...

That's funny!I'm ancient too. I think I was in first grade in '81.I had favorite dresses too, I'm sure yours was wonderful. Isn't it sad that not a lot of little girls dress up (in our Sunday Best) as much as we did for pictures anymore?