Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Serger.

Daniel's parents make a quilt for the grand kids when they turn 12. Well, the point is having it done before they turn 12. The good thing is all the squares have been cut for about 3,027 quilts. Just kidding. I think Jesse, his dad, and I counted under 25. This is a large family with lots of grand kids. Some sisters have taken squares home and sewed them together. Then Jesse will quilt the bottom on. Or something. So what do I do?? I say, Hey, I can sew a straight line. I'll take a couple of those boxes of squares and sew them together.
Hahahahaha.
That's all those who know how to sew, excuse me, those who know how to use a serger, laughing!
When I see that the seams are serged, not simply sewn, I panic. But Jesse says, Just take them home and play with them. See what you can do.
Easier said than done.
So I called my sister Katie and asked if she had my mom's serger. Yes. So I got it from her.
The thread is somewhat threaded, but in order to use it, it all has to be threaded.
So I tried. For like 4 hours. To no avail.
So I asked my hunk o burnin' love to do it for me.
And he does.
He's so awesome.
So today, this is what my table looks like...
I have serged together 3 rows of squares. The first 3 that are sewn together were done by someone else. I'm scared to serge the rows together. Something about a fear of failing. Going in a small straight line is pretty easy. I don't ever see myself making clothes and such with it. There are a total of 17 rows for this quilt. And then I've got another bag of squares for another quilt.

I seriously may just give the rows to a sister who really knows what she's doing. Straight line or not, it scares me.
At least I know the serger will work for evermore.

3 comments:

Kates said...

I'm so glad it works! Now you can teach me how to do it!

Kates said...

I'm so glad it works! Now you can teach me how to do it!

Kim said...

Oh MAN! I really want a serger but I'm afraid to thread it. You are awesome. Your rows look straight enough to me! Good job Daniel for figuring out the threads!!!