Friday, September 19, 2008

It's a WHAT??

A Girdle.

As I brought Ruthie into my bathroom to comb her hair, she sees this thing draped over the side of the tub.

"What is that, mom?" she asks.

"My girdle" I say.

"What's a girdle?"

"It's what I wear to hooolllllll...hmmmm. It's what I wear when I wear a skirt to keeeeee.....hmmmm. (How shall I put this??) Iwearittoholdmyrolls." (Think of me saying that really fast)

"What rolls?"

"Um. These rrr...hmmm. Just my tummy, honey."

"But where are the rolls?" Isn't it obvious, child? I mean, I'm not even dressed yet.

"The rolls on my tummy."

"I JUST DON'T SEE ANY ROLLS THERE, MOM!!"

After wiping the tear of gratitude from my right eye and giving her a kiss of thanks on her cheek, I realize that she most likely is thinking of the rolls we eat. Oh well. I enjoyed her response anyway!

As long as the rolls live, Long Live The Girdle!!

9 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

I wondered why you looked so good..... the secret is in the girdle??

Maybe she was thinking cressant rolls, parkerhouse rolls, crousants???

Do they make girdles still??? I was watching Bridget Jones II last night on cable. Hey even the divine Ms Bridget Jones owns a girdle!!

Mama Bear said...

I love it! I so need to get me one, I've had about all I can handle of these post-baby rolls; well maybe not enough since I obviously haven't done too much to get rid of them. I like the idea of hiding them, so much less energy expended!

Single Women Adopting Children said...

I thought spanx was all the rage? Hopefully the girdle is comfortable. I just want something that will smooth out my cellulite.....I don't think the girdle will help with that (of course- neither is the "cellulite reducing creme" I bought at Costco - oh well!

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience. My 4-year-old daughter once barged in on me getting into a girdle, saw that I was struggling, and offered to help. Of course they still make girdles, and an awful lot of us wear them. The Spanx revolution (and the Bridget Jones movie I think) made control garments fashionable again and now you see a lot of real girdles (tighter than Spanx) in the stores and I hear they're flying off the shelves. I stay with Spanx for daily wear, but when I'm getting dressed up and really want to look my best, on goes the girdle. Some may complain, but I love them. They work!

Kristi said...

HOW Sweet!, My kids comments run more along the line of, "is there another baby in there Mom?"

Oh by the way - Tally really wants Ruthann to come over and play.

Crissy said...

LOL!! That is too cute and too funny!! Kids are so fun!
I wish I had one of those to keep my rolls in!! hee hee ;)

Rebecca McNair said...

Ruthie is hilarious! She was so much fun when we substituted in primary! That is the cutest story!

Sarah said...

gotta love it. the comment and the girdle!

Laurie said...

haha! Ruthie is so cute!