Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me.

Have you noticed all the flies? They come in and claim territory inside the blinds and on door jams. They go through extensive training in fly school and know the fly swatter when you get it out. They quickly fly away as soon as you think, "Oh, fly, just you wait. I'm gettin my pretty purple fly swatter and I'm comin for ya!"

They always come inside the house at the same time every year...canning season. Although I'm not canning this year. And maybe that's why I don't seem to have as many as I usually do. But still. They have come and taken over. I'm blaming the kids.

One of the funnest things I do as an entertainer is swat flies. I run around the house and make flying leaps and get as many of the dirty rotten scoundrels as I can. And we all count them as I swat them. One day I got to 23. That's a lot of flies for one kitchen.

I have a vaulted ceiling in the family room. That makes it really hard to swat flies who go to where the best heat is. Heat rises, ya know. But then again, when they are on the regular, not so high, ceiling, I still can't get at them easily. Did you know that a person who is 5'2" and 1--lbs and who has extrememly short limbs cannot possibly build up the momentum necessary to possibly swat at a fly on the regularly high kitchen ceiling? Didn't think so.

We have been missing a screen door for our back door for a few years now. We actually were doing ok in the fly take over area. Then last Saturday Daniel went to the Man Mall and bought a new screen door. Now all of a sudden we have a bazillion flies in the house. How did that happen?

So that's what I'll be concentrating on today. Fly Swatting. I'm pretty good at it. The poor flies rarely know how their demise came so utterly quickly. Fly heaven has got to be a full place. Which makes me wonder...is there a fly heaven? Or do they really just die and enter into a black abyss where no fly can manage to return from? Hmmm. Sometimes they return.

It is getting colder at night. That's especially helpful because flies slow down when it's cold. But as the day gets warmer, their reflexes speed up. So maybe I should get on this. I'm a goin' fly swattin!

Have a terrific day!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Oh ya, it's fly season. Every August-September my husband participates in his own little fly swatting olympics. However, he prefers to destroy the flies with his bare hands. Then he gloats. What a manly man.

Lisa and Tate said...

I have been doing the shoo fly dance here too. I don't even have the excuse nor the audience of kids to make it as much fun as you do..... Somehow Mesa (dog) just is not entertained by it.

We are 9 days closer to our gals!!!

Misty said...

Hey, jenny! I've just joined the wonderful world of blogging and it is so fun! and yes, the flies are horrible! Try having 3 horses, we have tons of flies everywhere if we don't keep the doors shut! That is one reason I look forward to winter! My blog is zesigerslittlecowboys.blogspot.com

Crissy said...

LOL!! Oh my goodness! You crack me up! We have been doing pretty good about minimal amount of flies in the house. I have been proud of myself by getting them as soon as they enter our house.
You know the ones I TOTALLY hate though. Saturday morning (my day to sleep in) There is always one Stinkin fly that comes buzzing in my ear! How annoying is that?! Go away you booger! I am trying to sleep in!

Momma Ballou said...

I feel your pain. We too don't have a working screen door. I walked into it and bent it our first week on the house. Nice hu?

Kim said...

It IS during canning season that they take over. ARGH! I am SOOOO impressed that you got 23 in one day! Wowie!

Kids do think it's pretty funny - and fun - to swat flies, Jake has been trying to help us but I keep telling him that I'M not the fly.

Single Women Adopting Children said...

With 3 kids- no flies are impossible! The screen issue is interesting. I don't have a lot of flies- but- I am the only one going in and out. The kids are worth it!

9 days- better than last month!

Andrea said...

I hate the little buggers too. Ben is our fly killer, I can loan him to you...