Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I have a friend...

...And his name is Arthur-Itis. And don't make fun of my hand in the picture. I have small hands with a lot of stuff in them. That makes them plump and fluffy. Actually, at the time of this picture, this particular hand is feeling quite svelte! Anyway, I have arthritis in my right handed middle finger. I would have held up the finger for you but thought that might be just a tad offensive. So here's what you get...
You see that plump and fluffy middle finger? Yep. That's the one. It's the afflicted one. Last Friday morning I woke up to a throbbing, extremely painful, swollen middle finger. I check my blood sugar. Out of control blood sugar causes a painful reaction with arthritis. Nope. Just fine. So I try to move it. Movement will be the death of me. So all day Friday. All day Saturday. All day Sunday. My throbbing, swollen middle finger can't do a dang thing. It hurts!!

I wonder...is it the weather? I take some pain meds that are advertised to help arthritis pain. Not a thing!! So I go to my old standby...ibuprofen. Yum! I can actually move it enough to make Sunday night dinner...thanks for the onion powder, Amie!

Then I wake up on Monday morning. The sun is shining. No snow is falling. (we had well over a foot!) And the day is supposed to be much warmer than the last three days. My fluffy middle finger is no longer swollen and can move pretty well. Hmmm... Do you think? Could it possibly be?? Could I be getting old enough that the weather will now determine my ability to use my fluffy middle finger??

Oh I feel so old. I use reading glasses. I have arthritis. I have been told to take a baby aspirin everyday so I don't die of a heart attack. Yeppers. I am coming close to old age. The gray hairs have slowed down, though. Weird!

So now my favorite time of year, Cold, is going to be the death of my right middle finger. Oh well. I shouldn't be using it anyway! Have a terrific Tuesday!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Sometimes that middle finger can come in handy when you are driving. Not that you would ever do such a thing!

My tail bone hurts when the weather is bad. I broke it years ago. Nice, huh?

Crissy said...

Ouch!! I was thinking the same thing this morning driving the girls to school, how it just stinks to get old. I saw this boy riding his bike, and he was just so full of energy. I was thinking how nice it would be to be that age again. Skinny, full of energy, no thyroid diseases to slow you down. Hmmmm, yeah, I am feeling that old age pain with you!

Momma Ballou said...

My poor hubby has that throughout his whole body.:( At least we're all growing old together.

Kim said...

Excuse me for laughing about the image of you just using your middle finger for the picture...that's funny. Of course things like that are funny to me...I grew up with 4 brothers in the South...that kind of stuff is just plain funny.
Anyway - I'm glad that the snow went away so that you can use your hands properly again! That stinks that it is acting up that way...I'm sure that isn't supposed to start until you are at least 80!

Misty said...

I'm sorry about your finger! Don't worry about old age yet, you are still way young! Of course, as each child grows older, it makes me feel really old! I guess, just like President Monson said, "Take joy in the journey!"

Andrea said...

Now you can have an honest reason to use it more often! Kind of like the situational tourettes syndrome I suffer from.

Single Women Adopting Children said...

That sounds painful! I understand the aches and pains.....are we're young gals. Who knows what will happen in ten years. Each night I wear a brace on my left arm from computer over use. What will be next?

We're headed to Mesa Verde- talk to you when we get back.

Anonymous said...

oooh.. "Fluffy Fingers"! Darryl would be proud! - Katie