Monday, June 15, 2009

Be Prepared.

So we had a little friend of Ruthie's over to play today. Along with lots of other girls. Her friend lives next door and is here a lot! We really like her. While the kids were playing on the tramp and I was talking to Lorena, the other girls' mom, at the kitchen table, Ruthie came in and said that the little friend peed her pants. Oh man! So I tell Ruthie to tell her friend to go home so she can change. After a minute or 2 Ruthie calls to me that she won't go. So I go to the back door and tell her to just go home so her mom can help her. She is lying on the tramp and all the kids are standing around her. She doesn't move. So I figure she is just embarassed and doesn't want to get up. So I walked down to help her get up and out and then Lorena tells me to look at her foot. "Is she having a seizure?" Oh my goodness! I jump on to the tramp and grab her. Sure enough, she is having a seizure. I told Lorena to go get her mom and then told the kids to get off the tramp. I just talked to her and told her she was okay and that her mom was coming, just like her mom told me to do if she ever had a seizure at my house. Her mom came running over and worked her out of it without much trouble and without meds. Just last month they had to call 911 because she didn't stop after a 1/2 hour of seizing. I was a little scared.

Just this morning, I got a visit from my other neighbor who asked if my kids had been to her house not long before. They had heard what sounded like frantic kid knocking. They were asleep, so they didn't get up. Nope, not my kids. But here is our deal. If I don't wake up and Daniel isn't home, the kids are supposed to run to her house and bang on the door, ring the doorbell and knock on the window until she comes to the door. If she isn't home, they are supposed to come right back home and call 911. Me not waking up would be because I am a diabetic and once, a while back, I had a seizure in the middle of the night and almost died. Daniel had to call 911 and they had to pump me with glucose through an IV to get me back. That was while on vacation. When we got home, it happened again, but Daniel got me back before he had to call 911.
These are the faces I saw when I came to in the hotel room. They were talking to Daniel and my mom and dad and tapping my arm saying, "Wake up Jennie. Wake up Jennie."

So obviously, we try to be prepared.

Today was a perfect time to go through the drill in an emergency. I hope we never never never have to bang on Amie's door because mom won't wake up. I hope our little friend always comes out of her seizures quickly. And I hope you all take the necessary precautions with your kids to make sure you are always prepared.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good reminder to always be prepared for an emergency of any type! - Katie

Jen said...

Whoa! I hope your neighbor is okay. When my little brother was a baby he would have seizures. They would scare the poop out of me! You are one smart momma for preparing your kids!

Susie said...

Sounds like you had an exciting afternoon (not in the good sense). I have always thought it was wise teach kids "the plan" for any emergencies. WAY TO GO!

Crissy said...

How scary! I hope she is ok. And I hope it never happens to you again! That's a good thing to teach your kids!

Laurie said...

Oh, that is so scary! GLad Ruthie's friend is ok. Were you the one who took the picture of the emt's?

Kim said...

Oh my goodness. Such scariness! It is good to have reminders to have an emergency plan in place. So glad she is okay and that you are too!!!

Single Women Adopting Children said...

How scary! Yes- be prepared! The boy scouts have a good motto!