Thursday, June 4, 2009

Salt and Soda.

Have you ever walked down into your basement and smelled water? You know, the musty, there must be water down here somewhere starting to sprout mold and stuff, smell? No? Good for you. If you have, then you will feel my pain. I went down stairs yesterday and could smell something musty. But I smell it often because there is a small nursery down there where my beloved is growing things to plant in the garden. So I go into the food storage area to get some stuff for dinner.

You see this little vent? There is a sprinkler on the other side of it to water all the pretty flowers we planted. Okay, okay, we didn't plant them. Daniel did. But I supervised. From the window. Because it was hot outside. And the A/C was on. I can't let it be on and not enjoy it.
Here is a small box of baking soda which looked a little strange. Like it had been in the freezer and was just taken out to thaw. It wasn't. It's just been down in my food storage room.
And then I see this. The salt. Same weird look about it. And of course when I pick it up, all the salt falls to the floor...
See? Now I get a nice foot salting when I walk in there. I consider it my cheap version of a seasalt foot scrub.
The water from the sprinkler had come in through the vent and down the wall and messed with the salt and the soda on its way to the floor where it soaked the cardboard thingy my cans were in. Nothing else was touched. It's just weird.
Very weird. My cake mixes are dry. No cans are rusted. The water just needed a little salt and soda. Hey! What a great idea. A little salt and soda sound really good right now. Chips and diet pepper anyone?

4 comments:

Hollyween said...

Mmmm... chips and soda. Sounds delish! That's so bizarre though!

Um, every time I get a glimpse into your food storage, I get REALLY jealous. And I always vow to get on the ball and get mine done and it never happens. Sigh.

Andrea said...

I'll join ya, but I'll bring a Diet Coke. I am impressed by the food storage, I tried, but so far I have ended up with 2 jugs of baby laundry detergent from when we started our China adoption, suppose it's still good?

Kim said...

That is so weird that those were the only two food boxes that were affected! Thank goodness that was all! I totally thought that about the salt foot scrub when you showed that pic for your floor.

Hey- I'm always on for a salty treat.

Jen said...

Thank your heavenly days that the cake mixes were spared (sp?)!

Totally weird though!