Thursday, January 15, 2009

Enlightening

One of Isaac's Wolf requirements is to look at ways to save energy. When I asked him what we could do in our house to save energy, he said, "Turn off the lights." I remember as a kid being told over and over to turn off the lights. When you walk out of a room, turn off the lights. If the blinds are open and the sun is shining, turn off the lights.

So I congratulate Isaac on recognizing the importance of this issue. Because lately, I don't know if it's because it's winter time and it's just automatically darker, or what, but it seems like the lights are always on.

So I went around the house this morning with my camera to prove a point....

The family room and dining room. They are pretty much the same room and at 8 in the morning, it's still a bit dreary outside, so, okay, these lights can be on. The problem is, they will be on all day if I don't continually turn them off.

The entryway. Now no one came to my door this morning. No one was playing in the adjoining play room. But the light was burning bright.
And then we get to the real problem. The hallway and bedrooms. Every light in the kids rooms and the bathroom and the hall was ON. My boys are at school and Ruthie is with me and no one is going to the bathroom.

I can honestly say that I can walk through the house from one end to the other and turn off ALL the lights, because they are always on, and then I can start walking back the way I came and they will all be on again. I don't know how they do it. Maybe it's not my kids. Maybe there's a light midget that lives in the walls and turns on lights right after I turn them off. He's probably the cousin of the midget who lives in the 3rd grade bathroom at the school teaching all the same jokes that he taught to us when we were in 3rd grade.




At least the pictures are of the ceiling. The floors are another issue. A safety issue. But that's another Wolf requirement for another post.




So I think it's time I turn into my mom and dad all in one and start the on going campaign to TURN OFF THE LIGHTS.

5 comments:

Mama Bear said...

We have the same problem. I'm a light nazi and the others in the house always leave lights on. I told Tony the other day we need to implement a "light tax" that if you leave a light on when you leave the room and you are caught you have to put a quarter in the jar. We'd have our light bill paid in a heartbeat! Way to go Isaac on noticing how important it is.

Jen said...

My parents were the original "Light Nazis". They were the same way with the thermostat. Each room in the house had it's own thermostat and we would get in trouble if we turned it up during the winter. We froze! Now that I'm all grown up, I have implemented the light thing to my own household, but I'm not stingy with the heat.

Single Women Adopting Children said...

We have that problem with the girls too but- I think their dad is just as bad in terms of energy usage. I am just trying to work on Daria's 30 min. showers. I don't think she realizes the water/energy use. I think a timer is needed.

Crissy said...

LOL!! I think we have the same problem here. Especially in my own closet! Ooops! Did I just say that?!

Anonymous said...

That light midget is probably also related to our friendly ghost, Casper, who always closed the doors in our house in Union City! - Katie