Monday, January 12, 2009

Make A Meal Monday

Here is what I've told my kids about this recipe. I have to remind them of it whenever I make it. There's always a critic!
"When Jesus was born, who were the first to come and see him?"
"The Shepherds!"
"What do you think the shepherds ate?"
silence....
"Well, they would take what meat they had, add whatever vegetables they had laying around and they topped it with the potatoes that were soft and starting to go bad."
"Eeewww.."
"Don't complain. If you were a shepherd boy or girl, you would have LOVED this and you would have begged your shepherd mom to make it every night!!"
"I still don't like it!"
"I don't care! I did add seasoning to it and the potatoes are fresh and wonderful. EAT IT!"
And we'd just go on from there!
Shepherd's Pie
This is a great recipe, especially in the late summer and fall. You can use any and all veggies from your garden. Or you can just use what veggies you have in cans, in the freezer or fresh.
1 Pound Ground Beef, cooked, drained
Add and heat through:
Any Veggies Available
Chopped Onion
1 Can Tomato Sauce
Season with Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
Top with Mashed Potatoes. Sprinkle with Grated Parmesan Cheese.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
How's that for simple?
Mmmmm...I think this is what we'll really have for dinner tonight!

4 comments:

Momma Ballou said...

I don't know if my boys would eat this. I def would, it looks great.

Laurie said...

I am actually with your kids on this one. As a kid I remember we used to eat ALL the mashed potatoes at Sunday dinner so that there would be none leftover for mom to make Shepherd's pie the next day. Haha, we were so tricky!

Anonymous said...

Oh Laurie, the memories! I cannot stand shepherd's pie to this day. But it is one of Sean's favorites, poor guy. Maybe he needs to be invited to your house, Jennie, next time you make it! - Katie

Crissy said...

I don't think I have ever made this! I'll have to put it on my list of recipes to try.