Friday, January 9, 2009

Old McDonald can't count some change. E I E I O

So I was reading some blogs this morning and caught a gander at mine and realized my posting abilities have slowed down. Mostly because I am constantly thinking about taking a picture every day because I said I would take a picture everyday and I keep spelling picutre like that and I have to keep going back and respelling it. So I started thinking about anything in my life interesting enough to blog about.....Primary teacher training, for which I realized last night, I am not prepared for...on to preparing something. Getting back on a budget after the holidays...I'm not ready!! And the first few days back to school again, which includes Lots Of Homework again!, driving on icy roads and finding matching snow boots and wondering why,when it is snowing, moms still let their kids wear their nice tennies instead of snow boots, because you know no matter where you drop them off they are going to go walk through the foot of snow covering the grass out in the fields. I know they do. I see them!

Aahhh...I feel better. Thanks for letting me purge.

But I actually had a blogging idea moment today. So now that I've got your attention let me share it with you...

I go grocery shopping on Friday. I just do. It's a control thing for me. On my way home I drive through a drive through to reward myself for a stupendous shopping experience. I usually just go to the same drive through and get a little junior burger with cheese and bacon on it. It's only .99, so I get myself a little value sized drink, too. Yum.

But today I felt a little saucy. Or something. So I went to a drive through belonging to a place my kids fondly call Old McDonalds. (Ususally I would gag here, but today I am enjoying it!)

"Can I take your order, please?"

"Why yes, you can. I'd like a number (use your imagination here!) with a diet coke to drink."

Pause....

"That will be $6.33 at the first window."

Pull up to first window...

She opens the window and only holds out her hand. She is asking someone through her mouthpiece hooked to her ear if the happy meals are for boys or girls. I'm not privvy to the answer.

The window closes and she stops taking the order. She has my reciept in her hand. She's just standing there. Looking at the register. Umm, excuse me, I'd like my food now. Then it becomes very clear what she is waiting for...I hear the clink of my change falling from the little slide that comes out of the register. She opens the window and hands me my change. She doesn't say, ".67 cents is your change" She doesn't know how much she is giving me. It is correct change because the register isn't going to offer extensive change to someone like me.

So I have an epiphany. You know, when you are enlightened by something. Old McDonald himself does NOT require that his servants can count out change. Hmm. Why is that? Are kids today not learning how to count? Is it too much pressure to be standing at that window, one of 2 windows I might add, to take an order while collecting fees while trying to give out correct change?

I wonder.

That's really all I have for today. I hope you all have a great Friday and may all your change be correct.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I have to admit, I love fast food. But I hate the service! It's rarely good service, and alot of the time we can't understand each other because of a language barrier. UGH! Sorry. Great post! :)

Crissy said...

Oh Man! Things that make you go "Hmmmmm"! And we wonder why our economy is the way it is. Our future is becoming brain dead or something. So sad!

Kim said...

It IS ridiculous that kids can't count change now. And most of them can't spell, and not just some of the time like us. Craziness! Shane doesn't understand why I make Jake wear his snow boots anytime its crummy outside or when it has been crummy outside. Thankfully, he's married to me so Jake's nice shoes have been unscathed so far. I'm with you there.

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Oh my goodness.....this is my biggest issue! I am truly concerned that youngsters have no idea how to count change. On Christmas eve- Rob & I were coming back from Mexico late then getting ready to go to CA with the girls the next AM. We headed for Sonic on our way back from the airport. The guy gave me the wrong change! I got $5.00 extra - which- I promptly gave back (I am not sure I always would but- it was Christmas). I read the book you suggested....I may refinance to a 15-year since I can't move anytime soon. Who knows what's going to happen to this next generation.

Laurie said...

wow, that is sad!!