Friday, January 23, 2009

Mom or Grandma?

I took Ruthie grocery shopping with me this afternoon. As I was putting groceries up and loading them into my cart, the register lady asks, "Is she your daughter or granddaughter?" Stunned silence!!! Ruthie starts laughing and I say, as calmly as I can without bursting into tears, "Daughter!" Then Ruthie says, "Did she ask if I was your daughter or granddaughter because you look so old?" That just added insult to injury. I asked her to wait until we could get outside before I talked to her.

Have you ever had one of those weeks when you are just trying to keep yourself together? When little nudges and seemingly small gusts of wind just knock you down? Yep. That's the week I'm having.

Seriously!! Do I look like a grandma? Really?? I really wish I had a comeback for it! I still can't think of anything. Am I losing my creative and snarky touch? Maybe I am getting old and senile. It better not ever happen again. If it does, though, what snarky thing can I say back? I'm too deflated to think of anything. Maybe a nice cold caffeinated beverage will help.


Have a Happy and YOUNG Friday!

7 comments:

Crissy said...

Oh Jennie! I am so sorry to hear about the recent conversation. Go drink a Dr. Pepper! You'll feel better ;)

Andrea said...

My guess the cashier was probably 18 and didn't know better! There is no way you could be mistaken for a grandma. You are my age, so I KNOW we can't be grandmas!

Kristi said...

I think you have to blame that one on the wide spread use of Botox in our society. People can't guess ages anymore. I've seen grandmas who look as young as you do, but in general they had a bit of help. I definately wouldn't worry about it you DON'T look like a "real" Grandma. p.s. my kids call me grandma at the store - so I have lots of experience with this one.

Ken and Lori Banta Family said...

Just chalk that one up to...some people are just realy STUPID! No, you don not look old enough to be a grandma! It's just like stupid people who ask if your baby is a boy or girl when they are dressed in pink and have a big huge bow in her hair! Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Single Women Adopting Children said...

This is absurd!!! YOu don't look like her grandmother! You don't look old enough to be a grandmother. Too bad you don't buy wine - they would ask for ID to prove you're over 21! Trust me...(okay so they have to card folks under 30 but - I'll take it!)

Laurie said...

Oh wow! You do NOT look old enough to be her grandmother! I can't believe the checker opened her mouth to show how dense she is.

Hollyween said...

You do NOT look like a grandmother!!! People are so stupid. And just like Lori said, I got people asking me a couple of times if Faith was a boy or girl when she was all dressed in pink with a boy. DUMB!

Here's one for you:
My sister had her baby two weeks before I had Faith. She came to visit me in the hospital. At the time, John's mom was there who has white hair. But my sister was holding Faith. The pediatrician came in and said to my sister 'You must be the proud grandmother!' My sister who had just given birth two weeks before me was SOOOOOOOOOOO insulted. I said really loud 'NOOOOOOOO She is my sister who just had a baby herself, thank--you very much'. And all the pediatrician could say was 'Oh, I'm sorry. My apologies'. She felt dumb. And she should have.