Tuesday, February 10, 2009

All In A (Tues)Day's Work

Daniel once asked me if I thought we had enough food storage for 6 months. Huh? How the heck am I supposed to know that?? Sheesh. The Church once suggested having a 2 year supply. Then it went to a 1 year supply. Then they said, just get 6 months worth of food storage. Then 3 months. Now they have a 1 month kit you can buy. If you'd like to know more go HERE. Go ahead. Do it! So I have just been thinking of how much we actually have and what we would need to get to 6 months. Or even a year.

That said, do you remember one of my first pictures for my project? It involved my food storage room...
Isn't it beautiful?! I have been really trying to get in the mood to "organize" it. You know, get to the nitty gritty and see what I really have down there. How many cans of tomato sauce can one family use, anyway? And how much do I really need for 3 months? Six months? 1 year?? So I happily searched many sites/blogs about a year supply. There are a lot out there. I decided that with my wheat collection, I could just about have a year supply. Hmmm. So! I made a log of each group of foods and non foods needed for a 1 year supply for a family of 5. You know, Grains, Legumes, Oils, Sugars, Fruit, Veggies, Deoderant, etc, etc. Did you know that a family of 5 should have 500 pounds of wheat?? Well, well, well. I actually have 430 pounds of wheat. And I know how to use it.
So I went through every can and box and shelf and found that I really am not too far off of a 6 month supply for my family. I am lacking a bit in some areas, though. So that's what I'll be working on for the next little while. You know, my legume list is pretty darn adequate for 1 year! My toiletries, on the other hand, would have us not brushing our teeth for about 8 months. We are having an Enrichment meeting next week about just this thing. I'm so excited!! I love my food storage and I love that I use it daily. I hope we never have to fully depend on it to sustain us. But I'm grateful it's there.
Happy Tuesday To You All!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Okay, I am seriously lacking in the food storage thing. You put me to shame! Guess I better get crackin' on it.

Anonymous said...

We've been getting our food storage in order as well. It's quite a project. 500 pounds of wheat? Seems like a lot but Sean and I have actually used about 30 pounds just in the last month. We bought a wheat grinder and make fresh wheat bread on a weekly basis. Good stuff! - Katie

Hollyween said...

You know that I am totally envious of you and your food storage, right? Just another reason of why I'm not as cool as you. That and the fact that YOU don't forget your children at school. (sometimes I seriously wonder what the heck is wrong with me!)

I bow down, Saint Jennie. I bow down.

Jen said...

Drool. I am drooling over your FS. Everything so neat and tidy. Love it!

Crissy said...

I agree with Jen! Your Food Storage looks great!
We have ours, but after seeing yours, I am wondering if we have a years supply.
Nice job on keeping on top of things there.

Laurie said...

wow, good for you. I love looking at your food storage. It's so pretty!