Saturday, February 7, 2009

I've Never Been Called Betty Spaghetti

Ever. I've never been tall. I've never been super skinny. Therefore, I've never been called Betty Spaghetti. I've been called Jennie Henny. Jennie the Penny. Jennie, what are those spots on your arms?? Etc. And my name's not Betty. But I do LOVE Spaghetti!
When Daniel and I were first engaged, he would come down to my parents' house after work during the week so we could plan and dream. My mom made spaghetti for dinner weekly. My whole life. I always enjoyed spaghetti night. So one night Daniel got there and hadn't had dinner. It was spaghetti night. So I dished him a plate full of it. Mmmm. Lots of yummy hot spaghetti. He ate slowly and deliberately. He finished his plate and I asked him if he wanted more. The look on his face should have been a clue. Or maybe it was lust. He said no and we went on to our nightly planning and dreaming.
I later learned that Daniel doesn't like spaghetti. Or cherry anything. Or tuna. Or raisins. The tuna and raisins I can live with. He still won't kiss me if I've eaten something cherry flavored. But I won't kiss him if he's eaten raw onions. (So there!) And one night early on in our marriage when I made spaghetti, he only ate the salad and green beans. I ate spaghetti for lunch for the next couple days. That was when I learned of his dislike. I didn't make it again for years. Years. Then I couldn't stand it anymore. I made spaghetti. My kids LOVED it. Daniel just picked at it. Spaghetti is a weekly meal at our house now. I try not to make anything else with it just so Daniel has to eat it. Is that mean? No. Spaghetti is cheap. It's easy. It's yummy. He has learned to deal with it. And eat it. Just like my kids when they don't like something I've made.
I still don't get called Betty Spaghetti. But at least I don't hear, "She has freckles on her butt she's nice" anymore That's a relief.
Happy Saturday!
And may all your spaghetti be aldente!

7 comments:

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Happy Birthday!!! Sorry I missed it- I didn't know until I looked at your post on my blog- you little sneak! I hope you had a great day.

I love spaghetti- so do the girls. I love meatballs too- do you make those? I would love a good/easy recipe.

Crissy said...

My Kids LOVE spaghetti! I can eat it maybe twice a month. And yes, It's a cheap meal that makes kids happy :)

Did you have you dinner night out with the Hubby last night?

Kristi said...

We have spaghetti a lot at our house too, but I've learned to compromise, some eat it with meat sauce, some with alfedo and some with butter, that way everyone is happy. I did not like spaghetti (at least the sauce) growing up so I can sympathize with Daniel.
Happy late Birthday

Laurie said...

Ha! He must have really wanted to plan and be with you to eat a whole plate of spaghetti! I love spagetti. We have it weekly at our house too.

Anonymous said...

Sean also greatly dislikes spaghetti. Even my kids are now catching on to his dislike and claim they don't like it either. So now on spaghetti night Sean and the kids get spaghetti noodles with butter, garlic salt and parmesan cheese and I get the sauce all to myself! - Katie

Kim said...

I still go around singing the freckle song. I, too, do not like spaghetti but Shane and Jake love it so I make it about once a month and I eat it. That is soo funny that you don't make anything to go with yours so that Daniel has to eat it! I love that!

Lisa and Tate said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I love spaghetti!!! I think I picked it as my favorite birthdsy meal each time growning up!