Monday, February 16, 2009

My Wrestle With My Account

I joined Facebook a few weeks ago. I did. I didn't like it. But I did. I put my profile picture in. I put my first, maiden and last name. I put my birthdate (no year, thank you). I put what high school I went to and the year I graduated. My email address is on it.

I have been wrestling with the privacy issue. Among other things. Frankly, I don't care what you are doing Right Now. I know people love it. I know people love the connection. I know people love that you can "find" old boyfriends and such. But I just never felt comfy with it.

Tonight my sister sent me this link...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,494064,00.html

All the info you put on your Facebook account, even though you own it, can be used by them for any purpose. Pictures of your kids, your name, your old boyfriends name, your email address. And the list goes on.

My wrestle has ended. I won. My account has been deleted.

Thank you for reading!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

That place kind of scares me too. At least with blogger, there is still some anonimity.

Misty said...

Ooh, I'll have to think about that! It has been really fun finding old friends and re-connecting! But yes, I see what you mean! Thanks!

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks for telling me! All of my friends have Facebook accounts and have been pressuring me to get one! I heard something about it on the news and I am thankful I didn't cave:)

My issue is- I talk to the friends/family I want to and- I'm on the computer enough as it is - I don't think I could handle any more folks checking in. It reminds me of my 10 year high school reunion which I hated (and didn't attend my 20 year - oops- yes - I am old:)

Crissy said...

There is no sense in staying somewhere you don't like. I have enjoyed the reconnection with friends. I guess for those who want to stay there should be more aware and more cautious about the information they give out. I have never given Facebook my address or phone number. Thanks for the info Jennie.