Friday, August 28, 2009

Flashback Friday.

Here we are on the first week of school. I hated school. Seriously. But memories always flood in when I send my kiddos to school. So today we are going back to second grade. 1978. Don't I look like I'm enjoying second grade?
There was a boy named Bobby in my class. I thought he was cute. One day, all the girls started chasing him. Well, I'm a girl, so I joined in. Then things started to change. Drastically. In a way that would forever impact my life. I was named as the girl who would kiss Bobby. Kiss?! Are you cootie crazy?! So the boys joined in and they pinned him down. They all called me up to kiss the boy. I did. Yes. I did. It was an adrenaline rush. Whew!

Then we went back to class. One kid was determined to get me into trouble. You see, it was a school rule that girls don't kiss boys. Especially when they are pinned to the ground by the other punk boys. Danny was his name. And he had really thick glasses and was mean! He kept trying to get the teachers attention. Finally the teacher told Danny that she didn't care what he was trying to tell her. I remember looking at my best teacher ever. She just looked at me, smiled, then went on with the teaching. I knew that she knew what I had done. But I was forgiven. I was saved.
Sometimes I wish it were that easy to get away with stupid peer pressured things you do. Not that I have peer pressure now or anything. And I actually enjoy kissing now. And the only pressure to do it is when Ruthie says, "Mom are you going to kiss dad again?" My answer is always, "Why, yes, yes I am."

5 comments:

Laurie said...

"Adults loved saying things like that. But we new it was always better not to get caught!"
Who was your 2nd grade teacher? Cute picture!

Jennie said...

Laurie...Mrs. Wong

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Love the picture! Cracks me up! I had some similar hairdos.

Shanna says "ewwww" when I kiss Rob. She wants us to think she thinks it's gross but really- I think she may have already kissed a boy.....ugh!

Crissy said...

HAHA!! That's funny!
I remember I was hanging out with a friend and I had a HUGE crush on her brother. We were playing spin the bottle while he was there, of course we didn't actually do any kissing, but it was kind a rush to sit and wonder what would have really happened if he spinned it and it landed at me. Then their mom walked in and said, "What are you doing?!!"
Fun kid memories :)

Kim said...

What an awesome teacher you had! Peer pressure stinks, unless it's your child telling you to kiss your husband...then it's just c u t e!