Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm Just Thinking Here.

Have you ever had a moment, whether a small moment or a long space of endless time, when you felt you just couldn't do all that was expected, required and, well, expected of you? No?? C'mon. Be honest with yourself. You're reading this without anyone looking over your shoulder or judging you because you have felt that way. So, now. Yes. Yes, you have. I have, too. In fact I seem to have been in one of those moments lately. A long, endless, dragging moment.

And sometimes those moments are too much to handle. But you do. Because you have to. Because if you don't, dinner won't get made. And then, just when you think you can't go on being unappreciated, wonderful things happen.

Today I had 3 people at church tell me things Heavenly Father knew I needed to hear. A teacher said I presented an idea in Sharing Time that was valuable to her. She represents Jesus when she teaches her class. A woman who was filling in said I was the right person for Primary. I am doing an awesome job. And a boy who is turning 12 soon, and who just spent his last Sunday with us, said he appreciated me and being in Primary. Thank you!

Then here at home, Ruthann confided her angst about starting Kindergarten. Isaac came in and laid down on my bed with us and rubbed her head and talked to her about how awesome school is. About how she will get to make more friends. About how her teacher will show her and tell her everything she needs to know. About how if you get in a lot of trouble, you'll be sent to Mrs. Principle. And you don't want to do that.

Then Sam let me kiss his cheeks all over. And he didn't wipe them off.

And Daniel ate all the homemade pasta I fixed today. Even though the noodles were clumpy and weird.

And Daniel let me go lay down and watch my Office DVDs when my unleaded diet pepper exploded and I started to cry. Oh yes, my friends. I started to cry. Over diet pepper.

And when we had family scripture study and family prayer, I felt the importance of my family. Especially when I feel a little, well, a little under appreciated. This is where I am happy. This is where Heavenly Father knew I would find my greatest joy. And how could I possibly feel that tremendous joy without those moments of doubt and under appreciated-ness.

So the next time you feel that feeling, think about where you find your greatest joy. And even though chocolate is joyful, I will bet anything that it will have to do with the people you hold the closest to you!

That's all.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I love to read about my good friend's "inner thoughts".

I have to tell you... when you were called to be the leader over our ward's little flocklings, I wasn't surprised. It fits you well and we are all blessed because of it.

Now that Cody is moving on to bigger pastures, my heart aches a little knowing that I won't be watching him pretend to sing during the Primary programs, anymore. Thank you my friend, for the many hours, prayers, and sincere love that you have provided and shown to our ward's children.

Kim said...

I know exactly how you feel (minus a couple of kiddos, of course). I am so glad that those people were listening to their promptings and told you what you needed to hear today. Live is surprising that way, huh! What a sweet boy you have to comfort Ruthie that way! Sending big hugs your way! I love this post!

Susie said...

Oh yes...I've been there before, and it's always interesting where we do see our answers coming from.

Kates said...

I have those days every day: feeling overwhelmed and under appreciated. But those little moments with my family make it all worthwhile!

Andrea said...

Its amazing that when we take the time to actually look at our lives and those we keep close to us, we are truly blessed. It isn't the things we have, its the people we hold dear. I know I am learning more about my relationship with Dev since he has been gone. I actually miss the guy a little.