Thursday, January 7, 2010

2010.

As I have thought about starting a new year, I go back to the reason I don't do resolutions. Every day is a new start. A new opportunity for change. Growth. Development. Each new morning is a time to reflect on what you can do better that day. So I don't do resolutions. But with a new year beginning, I thought I'd do this a little differently. Of course there are things I hope 2010 will be. Wonderful. Healthy. Happy. Paid mortgage. New baby. Finished basement. Etc. I got an idea from another blog. I thought it was the right way to handle a new year. Pick a word. A word that will be my mantra, my goal for the year. I gave it a lot of thought. Hope. Faith. Blessed. Growth. Compassion. Courage. Move. Many words came to mind. But as we were having our family scripture study last week, a word jumped out at me from a verse. Joy.

My word for 2010 is JOY.

If you get emails from me, my signature line says “Finding Joy in the Journey.” President Monson counseled us to do just that. Find joy in the journey. The journey is bumpy, rocky, unflattering, uncontrollable. But to find joy in it, well, it's just a better journey. A much better journey. And I can see the direct outcome of joy in my life every day.

I can't control how quickly our baby will come. It's a bit daunting and makes my heart ache uncontrollably. But I know that I have so much right here right now. I know my family isn't complete. There is at least one more who will come. But I can't control it. So the next best thing is to just have Joy! To find joy in every part of my journey every day.

What word would you use for this year if you could only choose one?

5 comments:

Mama Bear said...

I love it! My goal this year is to purge the negativity in my life so I guess we are thinking along the same lines. You are such a great example of joy and I am grateful for the opportunity to serve with you in the primary.

Crissy said...

Confidence. I know that I am capable of so much more than I give myself credit for. Great post, Jennie! May this year be a joyful one for you!

Kim said...

I think this post is just wonderful. I felt joyful and hopeful just reading it. I think my word would be Peace. I need some of that in my life and my heart.

Hollyween said...

I like the word thing too, but can't ever pick just one word that really describes the FULL year for me. There's just too manny. I hope your year is filled with all the things you mentioned---especially a new baby. Here's to 2010!

Single Women Adopting Children said...

I think I would have to choose "grateful." I used to keep a gratitude journal and I want to start doing that again....writing down 2-3 things I am grateful for.