Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Easy Like Wednesday Morning.

We are never late for school. Sometimes we get there just before the first bell rings, but we are never late. It's a me thing. Late would be arriving right on time. So I suppose we are "late" on those days.

This morning, Daniel came to kiss me goodbye, waking me from a dead sleep. I asked him what time it was. The hall was dark. Usually there is a light on which means all the kids have already been up for a while. There weren't any lights on and I wondered how early it was. He said it was 7:30. What?! I asked if anyone was up. He said no. Wow. It's like the 8th wonder of the world. My kids are still asleep at 7:30 am.

Isaac got up just a few minutes later. Then I got up. It's a school day, you know. I started getting Isaac some breakfast and then Ruthie got up, all sleepy eyed. It was getting close to 8 and Sam still wasn't up. The first bell rings at 8:30. So I trekked in to wake him.

I turned on the fish tank light and sat on his bed. He didn't move. Dead sleep. I rubbed his head and his back and tried to wake him. I realized as he started to move that I NEVER get to wake my kids up. To be right next to them as they wake up to a new day. To be the first one to see their bright eyes first thing. To be the first voice they hear. To be their first thought as they begin a new day. I relished the moment as he squeaked himself awake. He rolled over and saw me. He squeaked some more as he began to stretch. It reminded me of when he was a baby. He would stretch his little body and squeak!

We were late for school. As in, "Run to class before the second bell rings!" But I loved sitting next to my almost 8 year old and welcome him to Wednesday.

4 comments:

Crissy said...

You know...this post made me smile! First of all...What a fun time to watch your kid wake up *kind of peaceful moments* Second of all, what was with this morning anyway? In my mind before I woke up, I was sooo thinking it was Saturday so I could sleep in, then I remembered it wasn't. As we were getting ready to leave, I had to get Brandon out of bed and he wouldn't wake up,he kept wanting to go back under the covers and go to sleep. He was my picture of the day this morning ;)

Hollyween said...

Kids are so peaceful when they're asleep. You realize how much you love them and they always have so much innocence and softness.

And then they wake up.

I wake Levi up every morning and it never fails that he pulls his covers over his eyes. Ah, to be young again, right?

p.s. I can't believe YOU were late. It makes me feel just a teense better about myself. Jennie's normal!!

Kim said...

Aaawww! That is so sweet! I have to say that is one of my very favorite things about getting to stay home with my kids - getting to see their sweet faces first thing in the morning. Good job for getting them to school as the second bell rang - at least it wasn't later! You all must have slept really well!

Jen said...

I wonder if waking up our kids when they are teenagers will be as wonderful? Hmmmmmm...

When our kids are asleep is the perfect time reflect on what little miracles and blessings they are! Once they are awake, they become wild monkeys and it's can be hard to stop and be thankful for them!