Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Living Vicariously.

There comes a time in every mother's life when she must live vicariously through her daughter.
That time was Christmas morning.
Ever since I was a little girl and had a friend who was an only child and therefore had an entire garage with shelves on every wall covered with toys including an Easy Bake Oven, I have wanted just that. An Easy Bake Oven. I didn't care about all the other toys that covered those walls. Just the EBO. That just makes typing easier. From now on, the EBO will be addressed as the EBO.
So Christmas morning had Ruthie girl opening up her very own EBO. With a frosting kit. Pretzel, cookie and cake mixes. Oh my heart!
The opening became a frenzied affair when she realized she was opening the EBO, her mother's childhood nemesis. Nemesis as in the elusive and never showing up and evil EBO.
Then mom and dad went back to bed. Gifts had been opened and showed off in record time and by 8:30 am, well, the old people were tired.
I was finally asleep when there was a cry from the play room. "Mommy! Mommy! Come here fast! Help! Mommmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!"
So Daniel and I ran. We found Ruthie with a new attachment on her right arm.
Fancy!
She was not impressed that we started taking pictures.
We got her to settle down only to find that there is just no way to open the darn thing. And the instructions clearly state that you should not stick your hands into the EBO. Duh!
Daniel looked at every angle. We thought about calling the 800 # to see if they could help. We thought about calling 911, only to then think that we would be mocked! Sam wondered if we should just cut her hand off. If it were just a little smaller, a little lighter, it really would have been a nice attachment. I mean think about it. Anywhere we went we could throw in a cake, a cookie, a pretzel, and have a nifty snack. Oh yeah, the whole heat thing.
So we had to think fast.
Isaac offered to say a prayer. Then Daniel told me to get something long and skinny. A toothpick? Ha! No one was amused. A chopstick! He stuck it in there and finally got her hand free!
She is much happier when she doesn't have a permanent EBO attachment. So we thought we'd bake some cake.
We made a chocolate cake and a vanilla cake.
When they were done, we tried to decide what to do with the crummy mess.
The new EBO expert decided that just a sprinkle of flower candies would do the trick. We'll save the icing for another event!
Mother and daughter are happy. Content. At peace. The daughter has both hands to work with as she pleases and the mother has an EBO that she can pull out at anytime to bake something special!
Life is good!

4 comments:

Kates said...

LOL! Anya got an EBO a few years ago. She used it once then it sat in the pantry for about 2 years. We finally gave it away recently. I guess my childhood dreams were not the same as yours. Although I do enjoy baking in the real oven!

Jen said...

I had an EBO when I was a kid! (sigh) Oh, the memories...

Guess who else had an EBO when HE was a kid? My husband! What a nerd! I even bought him one a couple of years ago for Christmas...as a joke. He was going to try to bake us a cake, but then we realized the light bulb/cooking element wasn't provided. And that is when the dream died. Tragic.

I hope Ruthie enjoys her EBO and the memories she will make with it!

Crissy said...

Oh man!! What a treat that must have been for Ruthie to have an EBO attachment.
I never had one. I might have been a better cook if I had one?
Glad that Ruthie is ok! Those chopsticks to the rescue again!

Kim said...

HAHAHA! That is hilarious! I completely understand about childhood dreams finally being fulfilled...I'm still waiting, but my time will come. I'm so glad that Ruthie still has her arm and that she got to make her sweet cakes. Love the pictures!