Friday, January 15, 2010

Flashback Friday.

So it's still Friday. I still have 2 hours left of it, actually. I just had a wonderful experience tonight. And it brought back so many memories. Flashbacks, if you will.

Tonight a family was baptized. A Spanish speaking family. They were taught the gospel and were touched by the Spirit. Tonight they were all baptized, taking that first step towards exaltation. The thing that got me was the Spanish. I was asked to lead the music and one hymn was in English and one was in Spanish. So I got my Spanish hymn book out and sang through Cuenta Tus Bendiciones many many times. Throughout the baptismal service, the language, the testimonies, the Spirit, the whole experience brought back my mission.

This is where I would put a picture from my mission. My Spanish speaking mission. But, alas, I cannot find my mission scrapbook. I'd like to think I just misplaced it. But who knows.

A flood of memories of teaching in Spanish. Of eating Mexican, Argentinian, Spanish, Cuban, Panamanian, Peruvian .....Food! Oh the lard! Of little kiddos begging us to come in so we could play with them and talk to their parents. Of watching when the Spirit took hold of their hearts and then watching as the Spirit changed them. Of hearing them accept the challenge to be baptized. Of watching as they took that first step and then continued to go to church, to read their scriptures, to participate, to grow. And of course, of bearing testimony in Spanish.

It's been a long time. I appreciate the mom's willingness to speak English to me because it's been so many years. But tonight, I heard scriptures, testimonies and a hymn in a language I love. I love the way my mouth feels when I speak Spanish! Seriously! If a language can be tasty, Spanish is delicious! It's tastes of arroz...frijoles...carne asada...mole...tortillas de maiz...all those yummy things that I could never duplicate when cooking. That's what Spanish is to me. Yummy. Delicious.

I'm hungry.

Tengo hambre.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and relive those moments of my mission that changed me. That strengthened me. Tonight was a great reminder of the power of this gospel. Each will hear the gospel in his own tongue. I am so grateful that this family chose to listen. Chose to act. I guarantee that in a year I will be able to post that they've gone to the temple.

I love feeling the Spirit!

And if you want to know more, ask me. Or click HERE to learn more!

2 comments:

Kates said...

I've been reminded lately of my mission too; Haiti and the DR being in the news constantly. I have a hankering for Dominican food all the time now. I only remember the good things now, of course. But I will always wonder what happened to all those whom I taught and shared the gospel with... in Spanish! It's the Celestial Language.

Kim said...

That was wonderful to read...thank you for sharing your testimony of the love that you have for the Spanish language and the people who speak it. What a great experience you had to bring back all of the positives from your mission.