Monday, March 30, 2009

Make A Treat Monday.

I'm not doing so hot the with the Make A Meal thing lately. Don't know why. Just not doing it. Today is Sam's turn for FHE treat and he wanted something exotic. Or something. So I found this recipe to mock the Hostess brand. Stay with me...it's worth it!

First, put 2 cups of flour, 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt into a bowl. Whisk it all together...
So it looks like this...So pretty!
In a measuring cup, you're gonna want to put 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk and 1 tsp vanilla.
And in a mixing bowl put a stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
Get your aggression out now and beat it up.
It will start to look like this and then you can add 3 large eggs, one at a time, beating well with each egg.
Then add the powder and buttermilk mixtures alternately starting and ending with the powder.
It will look like this...Beautiful!!
Then pour that magical chocolaty goodness into 24 muffin cups with paper liners. We are only just beginning!
Bake them at 350...please tell me you preheated your oven! Bake them for 18-20 minutes. Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn them out to finish cooling.
Meanwhile!! While they are baking...
Beat 4 Tbsp unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
Then add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 2-3 Tbsp milk. If it's too dry, add a bit more milk. You want this stuff to be a pretty almost white fluffy yumminess.
Then put that frosting into a pastry bag with a medium sized round tip and insert the tip about 1/2 inch into the cake. Squeeze some goodness into the cake and repeat with each cake. I really like the word cake!
We're almost there. Are you excited? Can you tell which treat we are mocking?
In a saucepan, on medium heat, put a/2 cup heavy cream and 1 Tbsp light corn syrup. Stir it over the heat until it just starts to boil. Then remove it from the heat and add...
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and stir until they are melted and it looks like...
This! Oh! Pinch me please! Doesn't it look divine?!
Dip the top of each filled cake into the glaze and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
Put some of the white frosting into a pastry bag with a small round tip and pipe the squiggles on top of each cake.
And before you know it, you'll have empty paper liners!
I'll stop there and not tell you how much fat, how many calories and how much sodium. I will tell you that my kids loved them. They are rich and delicious.
And, yes, maybe I'm nesting! Or maybe I just can't stand the griminess anymore! I'm going to start on the laundry room tomorrow. HELP!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Mmmmmmm... those look so yummy! And I even have some buttermilk! Score!

Good luck with the laundry room. I'm so impressed with your on-going cleaning. And hello, the chopsticks idea is genius!

Thanks for linking me!

Kristi said...

It's official I will NEVER be able to go on a diet, not with such yummy treats out there. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Lisa and Tate said...

I love your make a meal mondays ANDA NOW make a treat mondays!

Loving the do it your self hostess cupcakes!

Crissy said...

I think I gained a few pounds just looking at those photos! LOL! I bet they were absolutely delicious! :)

Single Women Adopting Children said...

Man those look good! I could probably eat 10 of them!

Kim said...

That looks positively sinful, glad I am totally too lazy to make them! Someday maybe...

Kim said...

Oh YUM! I have to tell you, I was looking at the pics before the writing loaded on my computer and I was drooling before I even knew what they were and how to make them! I am SO making these this week. Thanks for the recipe!