Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Let's Go CoCoNuts!

Several weeks ago I had some of my kids with me while grocery shopping. Usually when that happens, we come home with a box of Twinkies or something. It's all about bribery. But this trip we came home with something different. A coconut.

You see, I watch Survivor and they are always eating and drinking these things. My kids saw something about coconuts sometime and wanted to know more. Usually when coconut is needed I buy it in a bag. Shredded. Sweetened. Yum.

So we bought a coconut.

Daniel cracked it open.
We drained the milk. No one wanted to drink it. It smelled like sun tan lotion.
Daniel pried it open. Isn't it lovely?
Then he set it down and we had to work out the meat.
Look at it! Isn't it beautiful? We got the hard shell off the outside of it. We also rinsed the stuff off.
This little one was willing. The other little ones were not willing. She liked it. So did mom and dad. Although I'll take a bag of shredded sweetened stuff any day!
So our little coconut experiment was fun. It was an great experience for us all to see what's inside the ugly hairy coconut shell.
Coconuts are so funny looking!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I have never had a real coconut before. I wouldn't know what to do with it. Looks good though!

Kates said...

Did you open it with a machete? That's how I've opened them. What fun. I hate coconut so I've never thought of buying one as a fun project. Maybe my kids would like the milk. Then again, maybe not. It's gross! Almost as gross as a milkshake made from beans!

Kim said...

The milk does smell funny, but it's actually pretty good. But if you buy coconut milk at the store it's really really good. You can get the natural coconut shreds at Kitchen Kneads, just in case you are wondering. What a fun experiment ya'll did!